New to forum and would like advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

New to forum and would like advice.

We just got a German Shepherd/Lab puppy 9 weeks old and where we live out in the country it is hard to find really decent food. So I was wondering if this would pass for a puppy food that will be good for her.

Diamond Naturals

Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice Formula

Protein: 27% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup) Calculate

Ingredients

Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), ocean fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 27.0% Minimum Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum Moisture 10.0% Maximum Calcium 1.2% Minimum Phosphorus 1.2% Maximum Phosphorus 1.0% Minimum Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum L-Carnitine * 30 mg/kg Minimum Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3%

Minimum

Thanks for any advice and I really like your forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

It's far from the worst food, but it's also far from the best food. There looks to be a decent amount of meat and no by-products, so it should be fine.

What other options do you have near you if you want some input? Do you have a petco or petsmart near you? Would you be willing to have food shipped?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

New to frrum and would like advice.

The farm stores have the Purina , Iams, Science Diet products plus Diamond. The nearest big city is about 100 miles away. To have food shipped they really charge us alot to get it here, unless anyone knows of someone with cheaper shipping. Our last dog we feed Taste of The Wild and it was really good for the dogs. Thanks for answering me so quickly I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM

I have fed Diamond products and like it It's also pretty reasonably priced.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

This was a food I was looking at!

I'm a student, so I can't afford the super-duper-awesome kibbles, but this seemed like a reasonably priced, decent food.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]-Heather

Whitman ARCH, RL1X, RL1 (AOE), RL2 (AOE), CL1, CL2, CL3 3/01/2010 GSDx
George 3/01/2008 Orange Tabby DSH cat
Sofia 3/01/2008 Black DSH cat
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSA View Post
The farm stores have the Purina , Iams, Science Diet products plus Diamond. The nearest big city is about 100 miles away. To have food shipped they really charge us alot to get it here, unless anyone knows of someone with cheaper shipping. Our last dog we feed Taste of The Wild and it was really good for the dogs. Thanks for answering me so quickly I really appreciate it.

I know a site that offers free shipping on orders over $50. They have occasional coupon codes for x% off via e-mail newsletters, and offer free sample/trial packages before you buy the bigger bags. If you're interested, drop me a private message? I don't know if I'm allowed to post the site on here..

Katie
Birthday: 11/15/09
11 months young; 53#; Jindo/GSD
<3
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Ive fed it but when it first came out. Not a horrible food by any means. Not the best but I would feed it again if I had to.

Taylor
Mommy of 5 little girls, Arwen-10/15/06-Blk/Tan GSD and Strider 03-23-10 Blk/Tan GSD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

I know a site that offers free shipping on orders over $50. They have occasional coupon codes for x% off via e-mail newsletters, and offer free sample/trial packages before you buy the bigger bags. If you're interested, drop me a private message? I don't know if I'm allowed to post the site on here..

Don't hold out on us - what's the site?!? You can post it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM

k9cuisine.com - Dog Products

Free shipping on orders over $50? Yay.
Unfortunately I haven't made a purchase on the site yet.
I do use their live chat customer assistance and ask the operators regarding the foods. When I asked for suggestions for food to feed to a LBP, they suggested Orijen LBP for grainless, and Wellness LBP.

I signed up for their e-mail newsletter. They send e-mails with coupon codes for your next purchase on the site, and some nutrition newsletters. Pretty nifty?

I haven't bought anything from the site because I'm lucky to live in a nice area where most brands dog food I need is within 10-20 minutes distance.
I don't know if this online store price is considered "good" for you. Prices in-store varies in different stores/cities/states. Orijen costs nearly $85+ for me, but Wellness/TOTW/Instinct/The now-P&G bought Naturapet foods cost from $39.99~$50 for me. So in my case, Orijen is cheaper if I purchase from k9cuisine.

Hope the site helps! I have more sites "bookmarked", but I recently got a new computer, so I haven't imported the bookmarks onto this new computer yet.

Katie
Birthday: 11/15/09
11 months young; 53#; Jindo/GSD
<3

Last edited by Andrew; 08-02-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

New to forum and would like advice

We are recently retired and the prices are way to high for us. Isn't there a decent priced puppy food for people like us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page