switching back to puppy food..? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

switching back to puppy food..?

Kodi is 7 months old now.

at 5 months I switched him to adult food because I felt it was best for him not to grow too fast. and he was itching very badly. I started him on purina one lamb and rice.(food ending up not being the allergin)

two months have gone by and he is 60 pounds at 7 months old, Is that small?
his father weighs 100 lbs and mother is around 70.

I wonder if I should switch him back to puppy food for the next 3 or 4 mmonths?
at what age do german shepherd dogs reach full growth?
There are no problems with him eating the dog food, other than my concerns that he will not grow to full potential.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchristian View Post
two months have gone by and he is 60 pounds at 7 months old, Is that small?
No. An adult male should be between approximately 66 and 88 pounds (the standard is written in kgs, so it doesn't come out exact when you convert it to pounds). Puppies grow very rapidly when they're young, but that growth rate naturally slows down as they mature. If he's 60 pounds now, he will almost certainly be AT LEAST 66 pounds by the time he's fully mature and filled out, so he should be within the breed standard.

Whether or not that's an appropriate weight for his size is impossible to say without seeing his condition. If you run your hand down his side and you can feel his ribs easily, if there's a distinct waist when looking down on him from above, and when viewed from the side, a tuck up at the abdomen, his weight is perfect. Slow steady growth is much better on his bones and joints at this stage of his development.

Quote:
his father weighs 100 lbs and mother is around 70.
His father is WAY over the breed standard, and his mother is at the very top end for a female, which is between approximately 48-1/2 and 70-1/2 pounds.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

Don't go back to puppy food! There isn't any need for it. Your fellow sounds just fine, and he could still top out over the standard. Our Conor was about 64 lbs at 7 - 8 months, and at 3 years old he weighs 94 lbs. (This is lean weight, he isn't fat.) When we adopted him at 6 months I immediately got him off puppy food and put him on a good all life stages kibble + raw before switching him to 100% raw. That way his growth was slow and steady, which is what you want. Putting your fellow back on puppy food will only encourage the faster growth you are trying to avoid. (Not saying you have to go the raw route, but there are some very good kibbles out there which are suitable for both puppies and adults......)

They stop growing "up" when the growth plates in their legs close. This can vary from dog to dog. I think Conor was about 16 months......reaching maturity takes a lot longer, up to 3 years on average, during which time they will fill out - head and chest get broader for example. However this sort of filling out isn't the same as getting fat LOL - so be sure to keep your fellow on the lean side.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! seems were well on track then! thanks for the advice.

he isnt fat at all, looks really good

I should get the pics off my camera soon! thanks again!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM

I agree, stay off the puppy food and try to finda quality adult dog food.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

He sounds like a good weight to me. Remember, when you see other puppies the same age that are bigger, that they are probably on puppy food. As my breeder explained, he will still grow into a nice big full grown shepherd, he will just grow slower, which is healthier for him.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

he eats purina one lamb and rice formula.

ok so he will still grow to the same size he would have otherwise, just a lil slower haha makes sense.
thanks again!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

stop worrying about your
dogs weight. 70lbs at 6 months.
he's goiing to be big ( i think).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Yep! My guy is almost 7 mos old, and isn't 60# yet. He is WAAAAY below the growth charts (by design), and people comment how skinny he is. He is eating ~1# of Orijen adult daily, and has the most gorgeous coat, great energy, etc. Skinny puppies make healthier adults.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
Yep! My guy is almost 7 mos old, and isn't 60# yet. He is WAAAAY below the growth charts (by design), and people comment how skinny he is. He is eating ~1# of Orijen adult daily, and has the most gorgeous coat, great energy, etc. Skinny puppies make healthier adults.
Same here. My pup just made 7 months and weighed in at 55 lbs at the vet today. I always get people asking me if I'm feeding him enough. I've been feeding him 5 cups of blue buffalo LBP daily, but just cut it back to 4 as he's been having soft stool in the late afternoon. So far the reduction has helped with the soft stool. Wondering if I should start switching to adult, I'm just concerned w/the Ca levels. I've tried to ease him into Orijen and that didn't agree w/his stomach at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page