Need Some Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Need Some Help

If this is in the wrong section please move it.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, so I might as well tell it.

My puppy of 12 weeks was diagnosed with giardia, when we finished his treatments I washed his bowls out with bleach and his crate as recommended by my vet, two days ago. Around five days days ago, I picked up BB Large Breed Puppy food to start switching him. I started out with a small amount of BB mixing it with his Purina One food, he ate it out of his bowl like nothing. He didnt have any diarrhea from it or nothing so I decided to go 50/50 with the foods and this afternoon he wont eat from his bowl at all. If I put the food on the carpet he will eat it, and he wont pick out the Pruina One from the BB, he eats both of them with no problem. He will go to his bowl and grab a big mouthful and drop it on the carpet away from the bowl and eat the food that way.

When I just took him outside, he had a firm stool then when we were walking back inside he stopped again and had a little bout of diarrhea, I was well maybe the 50/50 was to much for him, so I gave a 25% BB and the rest Purina. He will go to his bowl every 5min or so and grab a mouthful and eat on the carpet, he always loved feeding time and always ate as soon as I put the bowl down, so now I dont know what is bothering him. The day after I bleached the bowls he was eating normally out of the bowl and he still drinks water fine out of the other bowl but all of a sudden he just wont eat out of his food bowl. If I was to put the entire bowl on the carpet he will eat it.

Forgot to add, he will sniff the bowl/food and jump back from it almost like hes afraid of the bowl or something...

So any suggestions?

Last edited by Brown314; 07-22-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Knighted Member

Rerinse the bowl and let it dry overnight so the bleach evaporates. Other than that some dogs just do this- maybe doggy pen him and his bowl away from carpeting for now. My lab did this until we stopped letting leave the room with food in his mouth. I doggy penned him in the kitchen with his food and left him to eat for an hour putting the bowl up after this time period. He missed a few meals those first few days, but dogs are smart he figured out eating from the bowl was the only option
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Could he be playing with his food because he's just not that hungry? Are you overfeeding him? I've learned here on the forum from people who know a lot more about dogs than I, that overfeeding can cause firm stools followed by loose stools.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with overfeeding, BB is probably richer so less is needed.
Are the bowls stainless or plastic? I would feed with stainless as it doesn't hold odor and is not porous.
I would also add some probiotics and digestive enzymes to get pups gut flora back on track.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

This is just a change in behavior. I had one dog that really liked company for her meals - a good part of the time, she would take a mouth full of food to the carpet or another area, drop it and eat it from the floor.
My present puppy does it occassionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page