Feeding my puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Feeding my puppy

Hi there, I've been currently feeding my GSD puppy wysong growth, with a little bit of archetype. I'm really not so estatic about the low protein content.

I've been looking at two options for change:

A: rotating the three flavors of Blue Wilderness food, which has a 35% protein

B: Moving to wysong epigen, combined with the au jus diet and Archetype. The epigen is 60% protein.

Let me know what you think, and if these diets would be ok for a puppy. She is coming around on 14 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Crowned Member

That food doesn't look too good to me. Doens't look like much meat at all, so it's probably a smart idea to move on to something better.

It's not protein that you should be worried about - it's the calcium that's not good for large breed puppies. You don't want to go over 1.5% (max calcium).

I believe that Blue Buffalo's Wilderness line is around 2% max calcium and that's just too much for a growing puppy. If you like Blue Buffalo, check out their Chicken and brown rice formula. I've never fed it, but i know there are plenty of member here that do and are very happy with it.

I've never heard of wysong, but I could recommend a few other kibbles that you may want to look in to. Orijen is one of them. It's the best if you ask me. It's 42% protein, very meat heavy, quality ingredients, grain free, and they have a formula that safe for large breed puppies with lower calcium.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Wysong.net I thought it was some pretty popular food guess not. I will take a look into orijen large breed puppy. With the orijin do you supplement with any kind of raw or canned food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney View Post
Wysong.net I thought it was some pretty popular food guess not. I will take a look into orijen large breed puppy. With the orijin do you supplement with any kind of raw or canned food?
Yeah, I'll add some steamed chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, green tripe, raw eggs, among other things. You really don't have to since orijen is a very balanced food, but I like to spoil Lucy. Plus it doesn't hurt.

Just looked over the wysong products and wasn't too impressed. It's decent, but most of the formulas are not very meat heavy. Even the one that said 40% protein looks kind of mediocre. What's with all the poultry meal? Why not chicken or turkey meal?

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 07-21-2010 at 02:13 AM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I have no idea, I just heard that this starch-free epigen was supposed to be a great food with a little bit of warm water sprinkled on top.

I read through the large breed puppy formula for orijen and it seems fine to me, I'm going to wait and see if I can get a little more feedback on the wysong, and then it looks like I will start the switch over to the orijen food
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

If i do move over to origen with a GSD should i feed more than the requirements or right on them?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Knighted Member

BB Wilderness calcium is 1/3% and Pho is 0.9%, I've got a bag right in front of me now.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Knighted Member

oops typo, that's 1.3% on calcium
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Orijen is a great food. But whatever you decide to switch to, as long as your puppy is at a good weight for her size (lean but not overly skinny, not chunky), she's probably getting an appropriate amount of calories. The recommended feeding guide is just that, a guide. So you can either start there and adjust as necessary based on her condition, or you can do a simple calculation to figure out how many cups of the new food will equal the same number of calories that she's currently getting of the old food.

The Kcals per cup should be on the bag, and you can also look it up online. Just multiply the number of cups she eats each day by the kcals to get the total number of calories. Then divide that by the Kcals per cup of the new food. Very simple.

For example, if she's eating 3 cups a day of a food with 350 calories per cup, that's 1050 calories a day. If you want to switch her to a food with 400 calories a cup, you'd divide 1050 by 400 and get 2.625, which would be the number of cups you would need with the new food.

If she's eating a food with 450 calories and you want to switch to a food with 400 calories it would look like this:

450 x 3 = 1350 calories per day
1350 divided by 400 = 3.375 cups

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thats good to hear, as I can get that at my local pet store.. what its really coming down too is which is going to be the best for my puppy, the orijen wilderness or epigen, the indredients all appear to be near the same, but epigen by far has the most protein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page