Food for a 4 month with Hip Dsyplsia?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Food for a 4 month with Hip Dsyplsia??

Kaiser is a 4 month old pup who has diagnosed with Hip Dyspepsia any recommendations on a good food, currently he is on Fromm he seems to like it doing well any suggestions would be great thx.....

ps: i have considered going RAW but to be honest the possibility of generating Calcium deficiency scares me perhaps when he is full grown i will switch him, i have seen some miracles on some dogs switching over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think the supplements in your case are going to be pretty important. How bad is the HD? 4 months is a bit early to tell isn't it? Unless it's really bad?

I give Vit C, Fish Oil, Vt E, Springtime Joint Supplements. I saw a marked improvement in Jax.

Are you supplementing right now?

As long as he is getting bone in his diet he won't have a calcium deficiency. You were feeding him RAW. What happened?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

thx for the quick response Kaiser has always been bowed legged favored his left leg, we monitored it till the vet wanted to do xrays and confirmed what i already knew and feared, i give him salmon oil, purated fruits and veggies,a multivitamin but he doesnt care for them, i mix up his kibble, i actually did start him in RAW but i wanted to make sure he was getting all his vitamins and minerals he needs and give him a complete balanced diet, on raw i wasnt able to provide the variety of foods it requires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

First, and I'll have to look for the article again, you should get him off carbs. I can't remember the correlation but there was one between HD and carbs.

Second, many of our dogs get the complete balanced diet with RAW so I'm not sure what you would have been missing without looking at your diet. After all the searching I did for Jax, if that was my puppy I would keep him on RAW.

So find him a good quality, grain free kibble. I believe you are going to want to watch the amount of calcium so that his bones grow slower so make sure he's on a large breed puppy food.

I would give 2000 mg of Fish oil with the appropriate Vt E for his size.
Add 2000 mg of Vit C to his diet. Vt C seems to be really important in helping HD. Give him 1000 mg morning and night. Anything his body doesn't need he'll just pee out. Hyaluronic Acid has been shown to help. I haven't given Jax any of that yet. She gets a double dose of Springtime Joint Supplement.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

If you look at the end of the string on Thinking about changing food again, Sable123 posted some information on a food that (according to the article published) all but eliminates hip dysplsia. I personally have never heard of the food and am skeptical but you may want to check into it. Abady is what he posted on.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

thx Jax for the advice never knew Vit C is important of see i thought with the increase of calicum the idea was to strengthn his bones and make him grow faster GSDAAlphamom where can i read this thread or article pls! thank you
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Knighted Member

It's in the sting titled from today 'Thinking about changing food again'. Sorry, I'm brand new and not sure how to link you to it. HD is mostly genetics so not sure if any of the article is true but won't hurt to read it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

I don't buy for a second that a food can eliminate HD, anymore than chiropractic care can prevent it. There are to many variables in HD.

Definitely do NOT increase the calcium to make his bones grow faster. Fast growth has actually been linked to HD. You want to give his bones plenty of time to grow and start the Vit C. Do a google search on the Vt C and HD. Pretty interesting information.

Fish oil is going to help slow down the arthritis that will come with the HD. Did your vet think he was going to need surgery? How bad are they? My vet freaked me out a bit until I took the xrays with me to a chiropractor/vet and he didn't seem to think it was a terrible big deal.

Joint supplements and HA will provide the lubrication for the joints. Also, Vit C helps the body process the joint supplements.

I can tell you that she is moving much better since going to the chiropractor and that will be something you should look in to. It won't cure the HD or prevent it but it will keep him lined up and keep the pressure off his joints from misalignment.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

ok great thx Jax very helpful stuff, in Kaisers case its pretty bad he walk with a limb he said surgery made not help what type of joint supplement just regular over the counter natural supplements?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

How can surgery NOT help HD? I don't get that at all. When he's grown a total hip replacement won't help? Is he a candidate for the other surgery that is mainly for puppies? Did you go to a regular vet or an ortho?

You can use over the counter but it might be easier on you if you get one specifically for a dog. Springtime, Adequan, Cosequin. I give Jax a double dose of the Springtime Joint tablets.

Do you have a copy of the xrays? Can you get a copy? If it's digital, I would get a copy and post the pics here. Chris Wild (member on here) answered alot of my questions regarding HD. Very knowledgeable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page