Want to switch puppy to RAW-- Mom disagrees - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Want to switch puppy to RAW-- Mom disagrees

Hey, how are you guys. I have a 14 week male rescue GSD(maybe a mix) that is now the love of my life. His temper is amazing (besides silly puppy stuff) and he trains quickly, just need a little bit more potty training work and I'm gonna claim my Spencer the best puppy out there... but of course everyone says that.

The only issue I'm having right now is that, as I read up on a lot of puppy stuff, I've been taking a liking to RAW diets since of course dogs are obligate carnivores, no one should expect them to thrive on just a kibble meal. I also hear that the dog's health is better, the coat is shinier, they smell better etc. So I wanted to give it all a try!

Unfortunately my mother disagrees, and she funds most of his meals. She was brought up in the ages where dogs were fed low quality kibble and tied to trees, so she thinks that all this house training and different diets and everything I'm doing to give Spencer THE BEST QUALITY OF LIFE I CAN are nonsense.

Right now, Spencer is fed on plain ol' puppy chow (yikes!) and I'm doing my best to convince her to at the very least put some raw meat into his kibble. The only thing she seems to want to agree to (at least marginally) is raw eggs and what she calls 'crap meat'-- turkey necks, organ meats and such.

My question is, what is the best way to go about this for a 14 week old puppy, and in a way that will at least be somewhat satisfactory for my mother? What meats should he or shouldn't he eat and in what amounts? I don't want to talk about percentages of minuscule elemental properties, fatty acids, phosphates and all that crazy stuff-- I just want to feed my poor puppy something better!

So, that being said, can you guys help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

Do a presentation for your mother weighing the pros and cons to the diet she is supplying...then get a job, do chores or whatever to fund what you'd really like to feed. The threads here are full of info on nutrition, you wouldn't have to do much research-its already been done over and over by the board members here!
edit:
Your mom should be proud that you are showing responsiblity in trying to provide the best for your rescue, and thanks for rescuing!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-19-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added gratitude!!:)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Well, the things she's agreeing to aren't so bad. Maybe set up a budget of how much it would cost- chicken leg quarters can be found on sale often, yogurt, sweet potatoes, frozen green beans aren't expensive items. You can get some fairly decent dry foods at feed or bulk food stores and supplement with raw if you can't go all the way raw. Good for you for wanting the best for the best dog in the world! I bet your mom will be willing to meet you halfway, and if she does, great! Halfway is better than nothing, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

@onyx'girl: I used to have a job but currently I'm on disability for a back injury, most of my money that's not going to school goes to the puppy. Still my mother helps (he really is the whole family's dog) and I'm very thankful for that, but she needs to drop her old school ways! Thank you though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Do a presentation for your mother weighing the pros and cons to the diet she is supplying...then get a job, do chores or whatever to fund what you'd really like to feed.
I agree with these statements 100%.

We feed Mac kibble but supplement it with chicken hearts. My cousin's vet said turkey is better. Thats us. Good luck!

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Crowned Member

I would convince her first to switch his dog food to a better kibble with a low-calcium content.

Then do research on RAW, because while you might not think the percentages matter, they do. A LOT. And you have to be very close to exact with everything or he won't have a balanced diet.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

@DJEtzel: Alright, thank you. I'll do some research.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Knighted Member

Mac loves yogurt pops. Also, dog bones with marrow are a great treat. They're around a buck each.

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry about your back, from the sounds of it, I was thinking you were a teen, of course I jumped to conclusions, but we have quite a few on the site that are younger, living w/ parents.
I hope your back injury heals, that must really be hard to deal with....and that your new family member will aid you in your recovery!
If you can afford anything better than purina chow, I'd suggest Wellness super5mix large breed puppy or Blue Buffalo. You wouldn't have to feed as much as the pup will utilize the better ingredients, there isn't the filler as in puppy chow. Also, you could supplement with table foods that are healthy to cut down on the kibble amounts if your mom is ok with that.
Some butchers or meat processers have pretty cheap dog food grinds and fresh raw knucklebones for chewing. When you get chewbones at pet stores they are usually pricey, dried out and not a bit of nutritional value with them and some may be dangerous as they splinter-smoked bones a no no.
I would go with the butcher type stores for these(btw, marrow is rich and can cause runny stools, so knucklebones or soupbones are better for the digestive system)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

@onyx'girl: Hah, no problem. I kinda left room for assumptions seeing how I didn't exactly explain my familial situation, it's really my fault. I keep hearing good things about Blue Buffalo and I'm thinking of giving that a try if all else fails. We do have a lot of healthy food in the house (such as chicken breast) so I'll read up on that too. We have no real quality butcher shops in our area but a couple chain stores I believe will sell a small stock of knucklebones, I'll go check that out. Thank you.

@Mac's Mom: I hear a lot of good things about marrow bones, and thanks for the price estimate! I'll look around for yogurt pops too.

Last edited by dystopiamachine; 07-19-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page