puppy food vs. large breed puppy food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

puppy food vs. large breed puppy food

is it essential to feed a GS puppy large breed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Yes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
It's going to depend on who you listen to. If you do a quick search you'll find all kinds of opinions on it.

Personally, I do feed large breed puppy to my girl..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Master Member

I fed large breed to both of my girls, they did not grow too fast or get too big...Bella at 10 months is only 51 pounds. I took Mia off at one year (sheweighs 70lbs) and she is on homemade food. I did large breed since, they are large breed dogs!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

i'm looking at a few brands and am wondering what MAKES them large breed puppy foods... i know it's for slower growth, but what is the difference (ingredients-wise) between the two foods? is it just the calcium level? also, how long do you feed the large breed puppy food for?

Last edited by BradN88; 07-19-2010 at 06:51 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradN88 View Post
i'm looking at a few brands and am wondering what MAKES them large breed puppy foods... i know it's for slower growth, but what is the difference (ingredients-wise) between the two foods? also, how long do you feed the large breed puppy food for?
generally, one of the main features of the large breed puppy foods is the low Ca levels to help control growth (some also have lower calorie levels than their adult counterparts, but i dont see higher calorie levels as an issue if one is careful not to overfeed). if an adult food is ok in this regard then it doesnt really matter if its designated as large breed puppy or adult/maintenance. i think using a large breed puppy food does take the guess work out of the equation for most folks.

in general, it seems people who use large breed puppy foods for this reason commonly do so for about a year, when they feel safer feeding the higher calcium foods such as most grainless foods.

i would also add that regardless of the proper Ca levels, overfeeding can cause growth problems as well.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 07-19-2010 at 06:58 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page