Dont Know If Orijen Is Ok? Please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Dont Know If Orijen Is Ok? Please

Since about ten days now Diesel has been on 100% Orijen Puppy. From having soft stool once a day now almost every session is soft/direah! I Really want this food to work for him as I have read so much positive, but now I am starting to think it does not agree with him...Should I give him more time with it? Has it been long enough to know this food is not right for him? Do i change to something else if so how do I change to a new food from a food that he is not even use too?! Starting to regret switching him from his Puppy Chow he was on when I got him.... Please this is driving me nuts I dont know what to do..Any advice deeply appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Knighted Member

Did you do the switch gradually or just dump it on in without mixing the two foods for a few weeks? How old is the pup and has it been dewormed and given vac. against parasites? It may be you switched too rapidly, it may be the food, or it may be illness- hard to tell without knowing how you did the switch
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Elite Member

When you say soft stool, how soft? Also, some young dogs have sort of a two staged poop. The first bit will be firm and then the last bit or second poop will be kind of loose. What you don't want to see is brown water gushing out. If has some substance, I'd feed Orijen for at least another week or so and see what happens. I know my Max, his poops are much firmer if I give at least one meal of his three a day as a raw food, like 1/2 ilb of ground beef or chopped beef chuck or turkey necks. The concentrated protein seems to make things "tight", like they should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Did you do a slow transition from the puppy chow to the orijen? These are two completely different kinds of foods so you're going to have to do a VERY slow transition from one food to the other. I'm talking about 2-3 weeks before he's 100% orijen. Did you do that?

Also, are you feeding the puppy or large breed puppy formula. If you're feeding the puppy formula, you're going to have to switch. You need the large breed puppy formula.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Did you do a slow transition from the puppy chow to the orijen? These are two completely different kinds of foods so you're going to have to do a VERY slow transition from one food to the other. I'm talking about 2-3 weeks before he's 100% orijen. Did you do that?

Also, are you feeding the puppy or large breed puppy formula. If you're feeding the puppy formula, you're going to have to switch. You need the large breed puppy formula.
Also what Lucy said.^^^^
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Diesel is now 10 wks. I did the transition just over 10 days. After seeing his poop was good while at 75% Orijen I decided to go 100%.He has been checked & dewormed 3 times now for parasites all tests were clear! I do have him on the large breed puppy.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Knighted Member

you can also feed a little less...and add some canned pure pumpkin....food changes take time, it will get better.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Be sure you are not over feeding the Orijen. Over feeding is a most common way to get soft stools. It took my pup sometime to really line out on the Orijen. He was not ill with diarrhea though, just pretty soft mushy stuff for some time. Are you able to do at least three feedings a day?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Be sure you are not over feeding the Orijen. Over feeding is a most common way to get soft stools. It took my pup sometime to really line out on the Orijen. He was not ill with diarrhea though, just pretty soft mushy stuff for some time. Are you able to do at least three feedings a day?
That's what I was thinking too. Feeding too much can definitely lead to a mushy stool.

You shouldn't have to feed nearly as much of the orijen as you did with the puppy chow.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Knighted Member

When I made the switch to BB I had to decrease Jake's food a good bit to get a firm stool, and then slowly increase as he needed more...I think it's just the puppy trying to adjust and you should give it more time...

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page