Raw Meaty Bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Raw Meaty Bones

Okay, so quick question. What type of RMB do you feed your young pup (8-16 weeks) and where have you found is the best (safest) place to get them (outside of your local butcher).

Dogs Teach Us Unconditional Love

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

Favorite for us is turkey necks. Lots of meat on them and the bones have a little more heft than chicken. For some reason, Max likes them best too. We get them at a local independent butcher shop for about $1.20 a lb.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Member

Turkey necks are great but for 8 week old pups, personally, I would worry about them choking, not chewing them properly, etc. I would start with chicken necks, see how the pup handles that over the course of a week and go from there.
Although, paranoid me would probably just stick to the raw grinds until the pup is at least 3 months, but that's just me. Hopefully, some of the raw puppers will post here!

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)

Last edited by UConnGSD; 07-15-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: additions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnGSD View Post
Turkey necks are great but for 8 week old pups, personally, I would worry about them choking, not chewing them properly, etc. I would start with chicken necks, see how the pup handles that over the course of a week and go from there.
Although, paranoid me would probably just stick to the raw grinds until the pup is at least 3 months, but that's just me. Hopefully, some of the raw puppers will post here!
It's exactly because the turkey bones have more heft that I think they are better suited for a young pup. Fragile chicken bones would be more likely get swallowed whole and therefore, cause choking, if you think about it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Master Member

Hypothesis 1: Heft induces pup to chew before swallowing.
Hypothesis 2: Smaller and softer bones makes for easier chewing, especially for small pup mouths, hence making them more attractive to chew.
Hmm, I can rationalize both actually. (Can you tell I'm taking a break from writing a research article right now )
I think the key would be to hold the RMB while feeding the pup so that he is forced to chew on it. Especially, if you have a habitual gulper.
Other RMBs I use are chicken backs, duck necks and lamb ribs. Lamb ribs are VERY fatty, so not all dogs can tolerate them. Plus they are a pain to process if you have tiny hands like I do.
I have 2 sources for raw: Oma's Pride and a local distributor I found by googling here in WNY.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UConnGSD; 07-15-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammar
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Hypothesis 1: Heft induces pup to chew before swallowing.
Hypothesis 2: Smaller and softer bones makes for easier chewing, especially for small pup mouths, hence making them more attractive to chew.
Hmm, I can rationalize both actually. (Can you tell I'm taking a break from writing a research article right now )
I think the key would be to hold the RMB while feeding the pup so that he is forced to chew on it. Especially, if you have a habitual gulper.
Other RMBs I use are chicken backs, duck necks and lamb ribs. Lamb ribs are VERY fatty, so not all dogs can tolerate them. Plus they are a pain to process if you have tiny hands like I do.
I have 2 sources for raw: Oma's Pride and a local distributor I found by googling here in WNY.
On the other hand... and the sample size here is miniscule (just Max), turkey necks have been fine. Btw, I don't think that chicken necks are bad. Max just prefers the turkey (more flavor??) and he seems to get more chewing satisfaction from them... they last longer. Otherwise, it's all rock and roll.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Wow this is great information! Keep the opinions coming!

Now he wont have had any raw when we get him. What would be a good break in for the RMBs? Once a week?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Master Member

I always fed 3 meals a day to my pup. So I guess, to transform to raw, I would start with 2 kibble meals and 1 raw meal a day. And be on patrol to decide when to cut back or progress to 2 raw meals a day. But I would wait a week before starting any raw, as the pup's system would need some adjustment due to the new environment.

UConnGSD

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
I always fed 3 meals a day to my pup. So I guess, to transform to raw, I would start with 2 kibble meals and 1 raw meal a day. And be on patrol to decide when to cut back or progress to 2 raw meals a day. But I would wait a week before starting any raw, as the pup's system would need some adjustment due to the new environment.
Not looking to do a full raw transition. His kibble is 6 star and good. Just want to supplement with RMB for teeth health. Would one a week be good for that?
and of course start that after he is settled into our house..

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
Not looking to do a full raw transition. His kibble is 6 star and good. Just want to supplement with RMB for teeth health. Would one a week be good for that?
and of course start that after he is settled into our house..
Once a week is nothing more than a treat. Probably very little impact on diet. I feed Orijen (is that 6 or 7 stars?) and also feed one of three meals a day raw. Now that's not a hard and fast rule. There are days when we don't happen to have any raw, that's fine. Other days he may get a kibble a raw and then a half kibble/half raw. If you want the benefits, do it fairly often. Otherwise, it really only matter that he eats well and responds well to what you feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page