Raw Meaty Bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
VegasResident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Raw Meaty Bones

Okay, so quick question. What type of RMB do you feed your young pup (8-16 weeks) and where have you found is the best (safest) place to get them (outside of your local butcher).

Dogs Teach Us Unconditional Love

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Elite Member
 
Relayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL USA
Posts: 1,575
Favorite for us is turkey necks. Lots of meat on them and the bones have a little more heft than chicken. For some reason, Max likes them best too. We get them at a local independent butcher shop for about $1.20 a lb.
Relayer is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Member
 
UConnGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 801
Turkey necks are great but for 8 week old pups, personally, I would worry about them choking, not chewing them properly, etc. I would start with chicken necks, see how the pup handles that over the course of a week and go from there.
Although, paranoid me would probably just stick to the raw grinds until the pup is at least 3 months, but that's just me. Hopefully, some of the raw puppers will post here!

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)

Last edited by UConnGSD; 07-15-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: additions
UConnGSD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Elite Member
 
Relayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL USA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnGSD View Post
Turkey necks are great but for 8 week old pups, personally, I would worry about them choking, not chewing them properly, etc. I would start with chicken necks, see how the pup handles that over the course of a week and go from there.
Although, paranoid me would probably just stick to the raw grinds until the pup is at least 3 months, but that's just me. Hopefully, some of the raw puppers will post here!
It's exactly because the turkey bones have more heft that I think they are better suited for a young pup. Fragile chicken bones would be more likely get swallowed whole and therefore, cause choking, if you think about it.
Relayer is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Master Member
 
UConnGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 801
Hypothesis 1: Heft induces pup to chew before swallowing.
Hypothesis 2: Smaller and softer bones makes for easier chewing, especially for small pup mouths, hence making them more attractive to chew.
Hmm, I can rationalize both actually. (Can you tell I'm taking a break from writing a research article right now )
I think the key would be to hold the RMB while feeding the pup so that he is forced to chew on it. Especially, if you have a habitual gulper.
Other RMBs I use are chicken backs, duck necks and lamb ribs. Lamb ribs are VERY fatty, so not all dogs can tolerate them. Plus they are a pain to process if you have tiny hands like I do.
I have 2 sources for raw: Oma's Pride and a local distributor I found by googling here in WNY.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)

Last edited by UConnGSD; 07-15-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammar
UConnGSD is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Elite Member
 
Relayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL USA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnGSD View Post
Hypothesis 1: Heft induces pup to chew before swallowing.
Hypothesis 2: Smaller and softer bones makes for easier chewing, especially for small pup mouths, hence making them more attractive to chew.
Hmm, I can rationalize both actually. (Can you tell I'm taking a break from writing a research article right now )
I think the key would be to hold the RMB while feeding the pup so that he is forced to chew on it. Especially, if you have a habitual gulper.
Other RMBs I use are chicken backs, duck necks and lamb ribs. Lamb ribs are VERY fatty, so not all dogs can tolerate them. Plus they are a pain to process if you have tiny hands like I do.
I have 2 sources for raw: Oma's Pride and a local distributor I found by googling here in WNY.
On the other hand... and the sample size here is miniscule (just Max), turkey necks have been fine. Btw, I don't think that chicken necks are bad. Max just prefers the turkey (more flavor??) and he seems to get more chewing satisfaction from them... they last longer. Otherwise, it's all rock and roll.
Relayer is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
VegasResident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Wow this is great information! Keep the opinions coming!

Now he wont have had any raw when we get him. What would be a good break in for the RMBs? Once a week?

Dogs Teach Us Unconditional Love

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Master Member
 
UConnGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 801
I always fed 3 meals a day to my pup. So I guess, to transform to raw, I would start with 2 kibble meals and 1 raw meal a day. And be on patrol to decide when to cut back or progress to 2 raw meals a day. But I would wait a week before starting any raw, as the pup's system would need some adjustment due to the new environment.

UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
UConnGSD is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
VegasResident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnGSD View Post
I always fed 3 meals a day to my pup. So I guess, to transform to raw, I would start with 2 kibble meals and 1 raw meal a day. And be on patrol to decide when to cut back or progress to 2 raw meals a day. But I would wait a week before starting any raw, as the pup's system would need some adjustment due to the new environment.
Not looking to do a full raw transition. His kibble is 6 star and good. Just want to supplement with RMB for teeth health. Would one a week be good for that?
and of course start that after he is settled into our house..

Dogs Teach Us Unconditional Love

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Elite Member
 
Relayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL USA
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
Not looking to do a full raw transition. His kibble is 6 star and good. Just want to supplement with RMB for teeth health. Would one a week be good for that?
and of course start that after he is settled into our house..
Once a week is nothing more than a treat. Probably very little impact on diet. I feed Orijen (is that 6 or 7 stars?) and also feed one of three meals a day raw. Now that's not a hard and fast rule. There are days when we don't happen to have any raw, that's fine. Other days he may get a kibble a raw and then a half kibble/half raw. If you want the benefits, do it fairly often. Otherwise, it really only matter that he eats well and responds well to what you feed.
Relayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best raw meaty bones??? So confused JoanieGSD Diet & Nutrition 11 10-08-2014 05:49 PM
Raw meaty bones in OKC metro??? nktigger99 B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding 1 03-26-2014 10:21 AM
Hiding/Burying his Meaty Bones! Help? Malachi'sMama General Behavior 10 06-18-2013 08:51 AM
Dogs brought raw meaty bone onto my carpet! will_and_jamie General Information 11 02-02-2011 10:40 PM
Raw MEaty Bones from the inside??! DarkSmoke B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding 2 04-10-2010 12:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome