need help with puppy feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy need help with puppy feeding

max is now 11 weeks old and ever since we got him we have had problems trying to find the right food for him. The breeder had him on wag but the vet told us to put him on science plan. These have been all dry foods.

Have been to the vets a couple of times cause of weight loss and bad upset stomach.

He seems to prefer wet food and was wondering wheather to put him on it.

Would appreciate any ideas and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

Since he prefers wet food, I think it would be worth a try considering all his tummy problems. You could also compromise by doing a mixture of wet and dry - mixing it in. It could be that he prefers the moist texture. My Husky though an adult when I adopted her, would only eat dry food if it were mixed with canned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzz2000 View Post
max is now 11 weeks old and ever since we got him we have had problems trying to find the right food for him. The breeder had him on wag but the vet told us to put him on science plan. These have been all dry foods.

Have been to the vets a couple of times cause of weight loss and bad upset stomach.

He seems to prefer wet food and was wondering wheather to put him on it.

Would appreciate any ideas and advice.
How many foods has he been on and what brands? Switching foods too fast could cause problems.

I would not feed canned food.

I would boil rice and chicken or hamburger and feed that until he is normal for a few days. Then very slowly add in a quality kibble.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Master Member

Also make sure if you are using kibble, get a good one. You can check Whole Dog Journal or http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ to find one. And yes, make all transitions gradual.

Dogs Teach Us Unconditional Love

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Br - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Mixing Green Tripe with kibble can help right?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

What do you mean he prefers wet food? He's 11 weeks old. As long as there arent any GI or allergy issues, he should eat what you feed him.

That's like saying a 4 year old kid prefers candy over what he's supposed to be feeding. Why is he given the choice? A healthy dog will eventually eat what you give him. By giving him all of these choices at such a young age, it's going to make him a picky eater.

Here's what you do. Just drop his food down, give him 10 minutes to eat. If he doesnt eat, pick it up. That's it. You need to train him to know that when the food hits the ground, he has to eat. If he doesn't, he'll have to go hungry until the next meal. It's tough love, but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzz2000 View Post
The breeder had him on wag but the vet told us to put him on science plan.
And why does that not surprise me..? Typical vet pushing their garbage food.

I don't know what wag is, but you can do a million times better than science diet. That stuff is pure crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page