Won't eat his food, wants dads and moms. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Won't eat his food, wants dads and moms.

Greeting all (first post here!),

So I just got a beautiful german shepherd from my sister, he's 10 weeks old. He's gonna be staying at my sisters for 2 more weeks with his parents but I come over and feed him.

I bought him the Taste of the Wild high prairies diet and at first he loved it, he ate the whole bowl. But as days progress he seems to be eating less of it and he keeps going after his parents Purina Healthy Morsels every chance he gets.

Does he dislike his Taste of the Wild food or does he just want what he cant have?

Advice?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Purina and other lower grade foods like it are often coated in things that make it taste good and very palatable to the dog. Sort of like junk food...it may taste really good, but it's not particularly good for them.

So your pup might be attracted to the food, but you really shoulnd't give in and allow him to eat it.

Also TOTW High Prairie is not really acceptable for Large Breed Puppies either. While a much better food (I feed TOTW to my adult dogs) the calcium and phosphorus ratios are generally considered to be too high for puppies.

When Tag was 10 weeks he was eating about 3 times a day, only about 1/2 to 3/4 a cup at each meal. I would put a full cup down in his bowl, give him about 10 minutes but when he walked away from his food I would pick it up and he was done. Dogs shouldn't be free fed, and he shouldn't be able to get to the other dog's bowls.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM

This is a good site to check out dog food
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Hi JKlatsky,

Yes, I should add that my sister had him on Purina Puppy Chow and that he was free fed for the first 9 weeks.

Also I did a lot of reading on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble about different sorts of dog food. The brand I wanted was the Petcurean Go! Natural Grain Free Endurance or the Merrick Puppy Plate however when I got to my "alternative" pet store they didn't have either. So I asked the owner and he said either try Canidae or TOTW and he suggested the bison.

I guess he's eating about 3/4 of a cup. He walks away from his bowl and I offer it a few more times, then I take it away just to see him going for mom and dads bowl.

It makes sense that Purina would coat their dog food, that's sort of like what wal-mart does to their meat. They spray it with stuff to keep it red looking.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM

With being free fed Purina as a puppy he's probably getting used to eating on a schedule and well as gravitating towards something that he's used to. With persistence I am sure he will figure it out...especially once he gets home to you.

I favor Wellness Large Breed Puppy right now, which is generally pretty widely available.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance JK, and for informing me about the calcium and phosphorus ratios. I'll read more about it and also check out that Wellness Large Breed Puppy you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page