My puppy wont eat!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My puppy wont eat!!

Hey guys. Untill a week or two ago my puppy was eating fine and was nice and fat. Now he all the sudden he barely eats half his food and has very little interest in eating. My other dog eats everything like normal. This is driving me crazy!! Because hes starting to get skinny. I have him on Nutro Ultra food and its been that way since day 1. I just took his food away from him just now because he took literally one bite and walked away and i dont want him to think its always going to be available for him. I feed them twice a day at pretty much the same time everyday. He also got into a bag of pig ears and his treats one day and ate them all so maybe its because he knows there is something better? What do you guys think i should do??

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

So long as he's fine otherwise, it's hot, don't worry about it. A lot of dogs cut way back on food in the summer and lose some weight.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

It wouldn't hurt to have a quick vet checkup to make sure everything is fine.

If that's ok, then is he still eating treats? Cheese? chicken? hotdogs?

If it's just his kibble, I know I would rather see my dog eat than hang tough to starve him until he eats.... canned CAT food is usually extra yummy so I used to add 1/4 cup of canned cat food plus water to make a gravy to my dogs kibble to make sure she ate.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

How long ago did the puppy eat the pig ears and treats???
Pig ears are not really a good product....if a dog eats them fast, they can splinter in the stomach and intestines causing tearing and ruptures.....(this comes from experience.)
Is the puppy showing any interest in "other" foods??..
Water intake?...any vomiting?...loose stools?...or NO stools?

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

I don't have any answers because my 6 mo old is going through the exact same thing, so I'll be interested in any advice, too. He's been gaining about 1 1/2 lbs a week lately and weighs 68 lbs. On Friday the vet said Stosh needed to be a little heavier and I should try getting him to eat more. I was feeding him out of a fairly small glass dog bowl so I bought a bigger stainless steel one and now he's barely eating. He'll eat raw food off the top of the dry kibble but will only eat the kibble out of my hand. Other than that he seems fine. Could it be the bowl? Maybe he doesn't like the feel of the metal.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
How long ago did the puppy eat the pig ears and treats???
Pig ears are not really a good product....if a dog eats them fast, they can splinter in the stomach and intestines causing tearing and ruptures.....(this comes from experience.)
Is the puppy showing any interest in "other" foods??..
Water intake?...any vomiting?...loose stools?...or NO stools?
About 2 weeks ago he ate the entire bag pretty much lol and when we do our training sessions he eats ALL his reward treats right away not even thinking twice. He doesnt have interest in my personal food ive just never given him ANY human food because i dont want him spoiled. He drinks a lot of water all the time. He hasnt thrown up really at all. He did when he ate all the pig ears and his bag of reward treats a while ago but thats it. What is "stools"? Thanks for helping me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I don't have any answers because my 6 mo old is going through the exact same thing, so I'll be interested in any advice, too. He's been gaining about 1 1/2 lbs a week lately and weighs 68 lbs. On Friday the vet said Stosh needed to be a little heavier and I should try getting him to eat more. I was feeding him out of a fairly small glass dog bowl so I bought a bigger stainless steel one and now he's barely eating. He'll eat raw food off the top of the dry kibble but will only eat the kibble out of my hand. Other than that he seems fine. Could it be the bowl? Maybe he doesn't like the feel of the metal.
Raw food off the top? does that mean human food? my other dog had this problem everyone use to sneak her bits of steak and whatever else the family was eating and they they would put it in her bowl and she would ONLY eat the steak or whatever else we threw in there and not touch the kibble. IMO try no "human food" and within a week he will start eating his kibble regularly like mine did. Good luck!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

No, I mean Nature's Variety frozen raw chicken patties. I put that on top of his dry kibble. He's never eaten cooked or human food, except for eggs and yogurt, sometimes for training treats I use cheese sticks. I mean the regular meal he's eaten since the day he came home. He's drinking and playing, although it is really hot and he's not as active as usual. Maybe it's just the heat. I just don't want to loose ground on his weight gain.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
No, I mean Nature's Variety frozen raw chicken patties. I put that on top of his dry kibble. He's never eaten cooked or human food, except for eggs and yogurt, sometimes for training treats I use cheese sticks. I mean the regular meal he's eaten since the day he came home. He's drinking and playing, although it is really hot and he's not as active as usual. Maybe it's just the heat. I just don't want to loose ground on his weight gain.

Well even that. Now he knows there is something better and wants to wait for that instead cause he knows its coming. This is just from what ive learned. I use to feed my female GSD wet food for like 2 years cause she wouldnt touch dry food then i got the puppy and only fed them dry kibble and she caught on pretty fast now she gained some weight and looks a lot better(and seems happier) I hope it all works out for you!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Crowned Member

Stools are bowel movements..ie "poop".
If he isn't showing any real signs of illness...he should be fine...and his "pickiness" should pass. But I would still suggest getting a "all clear" pass from your vet.
Good Luck!
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Hey Robert- I took my puppy to the vet this morning and has giardia so you might want to get your pup to the vet too. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a protozoa that he picked up by drinking contaminated water. We live out in the country and have animals running all over the place and apparently Stosh drank some water that was contaminated by animal poop. Which is no big surprise since he drinks out of a creek sometimes or a puddle in the pasture. That's why he hasn't been eating. Of course the explosive diarrhea and vomiting at 4:30 this morning was a pretty good hint something was wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page