Homemade Dog food vs. Store bought - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Homemade Dog food vs. Store bought

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to this forum and I'm also a new owner of a 10 month old German Shepherd puppy, and I don't know what to feed her. I've read on some forums that homemade food is better for the dog than store bought, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know which one is better for the dog? If homemade is better, how would I make it? What should it consist of? And if store bought brands are better for dry food or wet food which is better? Should I mix the two? Which brands would be most nutrient filled and best for her?? And last but not least, how many times a day should I feed her and in what portions??? We just got her from a shelter and she's very thin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Either feed raw or get her a nice bag of orijen large breed puppy. Those are your two best options if you ask me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Either feed raw or get her a nice bag of orijen large breed puppy. Those are your two best options if you ask me.
What do you mean by feed raw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

There's a whole section of this forum dedicated to raw feeding. I don't do it myself, so i'm not the one to ask, but there are some very informed posters here who can help you along the way.

B.A.R.F./Raw Feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Raw feeding is basically like it sounds. You buy raw meat, bones, and organs, and feed that. It's probably the healthiest way to go if you ask anyone who does it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

If you don't want to go the raw route and you really want a top quality kibble, check out orijen large breed puppy. Orijen is the absolute best when it comes to kibble.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Master Member

Research raw before you decide. I hope to switch to raw in Sept. when our younger dog is a year...it is a lot of work, but I think worth it. In the meantime, large breed high quality puppy kibble and supplement w/ homemade. Start easy w/ ground beef (you can cook it). No salt or onions! Invest in a cookbook for dogs - there are alot of foods they should not eat. My biggest worry about raw is the mess and the flies!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Find someplace sells premium brands - PetSmart sells medium to bad food - if you can and start with one of the premium brands. A general rule of thumb is: if you can buy it at a grocery store, don't feed it to your dog. There is no one best food. Ask for a premium brand and if she does well, go with that. If she doesn't do well on it, take it back and try a different one.

Don't feed canned as it's very expensive, not necessary, and can lead to picky eating. Once in a while as a treat is fine.

Most people feed twice a day. That's a good place to start and take it from there.

If your dog is thin, I would weigh her right away and keep track of it. I would start by feeding about 2 cups twice a day of dry kibble. Weigh her once a week for a while to make sure she's gaining to the weight you want her at - you can increase or decrease the amount fed as needed - and then cut back until she's maintaining that weight.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudynRich View Post
Research raw before you decide. I hope to switch to raw in Sept. when our younger dog is a year...it is a lot of work, but I think worth it. In the meantime, large breed high quality puppy kibble and supplement w/ homemade. Start easy w/ ground beef (you can cook it). No salt or onions! Invest in a cookbook for dogs - there are alot of foods they should not eat. My biggest worry about raw is the mess and the flies!
Hah!! Max wolfs his raw burger, turkey necks or liver down so fast, the flies don't stand a chance! I feed Orijen large breed puppy twice a day and once a day raw. If you aren't giving them giant hunks of meaty bones, the meat really doesn't sit around... it's chomped down with gusto.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudynRich View Post
My biggest worry about raw is the mess and the flies!
It's no more of a mess than if you had meat from the store for you and as far as the flies...well...it doesn't sit long enough to give the flies a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page