A Couple Of Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

A Couple Of Questions

I just recently got a GSD puppy, hes around 12 weeks old right now and I have a couple of questions about puppy food.

The shelter was feeding him Purina One, so he's on that right now and since he has gotten used to the house and everything, and is doing great I want to switch him over to a good dog food.

I have done research on Orijen dog food, BB dog food, etc etc.

Im still torn apart about which to get him, I was thinking of BB Large Breed puppy food then the Wilderness line when he is a year old but some people say you can start him straight on adult dog food and Im just confused and could use some advice.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food.

my dogs kibble is always mixed with some of the
following:
can food, chicken, ground beef,
veggies, fruit, yogurt, rice, etc.

my GF gives him his kibble
without anything it sometimes
to make sure he'll eat his kibble plain.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

This isn't that confusing. Pick one of the premium brands that you have ready access to and if your dog does well on it - no diarrhea, likes it, and looks good on it - that's what you feed. If your dog doesn't do well on it, try something else. No one kibble is the best. The best dog food is the one you can get and your particular dog does well on.

I would never add anything to dry kibble except as a rare treat as some dogs can become picky eaters and demand you keep putting extras in or they won't eat.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown314 View Post

I was thinking of BB Large Breed puppy food then the Wilderness line when he is a year old .
sounds like a plan. sure, some adult foods are fine for our pups, but you have already chosen a food that is fine as well. stick with that and see how he does on it. plenty of folks on here have started on the BB large breed pup and switched to the wilderness at adulthood.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Some adult foods are fine for dogs, but you need to pay attention to calcium content.

And I've heard that grain-free foods are bad for puppies, so avoid those adult foods if you start him on adult.

I've heard nothing but good things about orijen, personally.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:41 PM

When Raven was at the shelter they had her on science diet dry and pedigree wet. She hated it..
I have now slowly switched her over to blue buffalo dry chicken and rice and blue buffalo wet ( mix 1/2 can in each feeding)
she loves it.

Dawn
Raven -1 year old GSD ( love of my life)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 cats ranging from- 3 yrs old to 18 yrs old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
This isn't that confusing. Pick one of the premium brands that you have ready access to and if your dog does well on it - no diarrhea, likes it, and looks good on it - that's what you feed. If your dog doesn't do well on it, try something else. No one kibble is the best. The best dog food is the one you can get and your particular dog does well on.

I would never add anything to dry kibble except as a rare treat as some dogs can become picky eaters and demand you keep putting extras in or they won't eat.

As a broke college student who tries to get the "best" for his baby girl, I had a few factors in mind. Factors to think about?: Price/Affordability, Ease of Access, and of course how well your dog does on it.

Price/Affordability:
Just make sure the brand you're getting won't break your bank, or force you to work overtime in order to afford that food. More time spent with your doggy is a happy healthy doggy, opposed to working your butt off to pay for food you can't really afford..

Ease of Access:
Hopefully you live near a petstore and don't have to drive more than 15-30 minutes to get to one. I currently have my dog on TOTW (I will probably get scrutinized for that), and she FINALLY has firm stools. The 2 pet stores I go to (Petco and this independent store), both have VERY lenient return policies on their dog food. "If your dog doesn't do well on it, bring it back for a full refund."

I've purchased 3 different brands, and were able to return them all!
-Wellness Puppy: Gave my on and off runny stools, and she never seemed "interested" it in. I asked PEtco if I can return it, and try another brand even though I've nearly finished the bag, surprisingly they said YES.
-Canidae: Bought 2 bags from the independent pet store, and got home to read a lot of consumer complaints about this "formerly dependable brand" making their pets sick. Didn't bother trying, and took both bags back to the store for refund, and purchased Innova Puppy.
- Innova Puppy: Gave her watery stools. AT first I thought I "Transitioned" too fast, so I started over transitioning. Didn't work out.
- TOTW PS: Took Innova back to store for full refund, and tried the controversial/not-recommended TOTW Pacific STream. FINALLY firm stools after 3 days.

So after you've checked on the return policies of the store(s) you're planning to purchase from, you can then see which brand(s)/formulas will fit your dog best.

From what I learned from this forum, most importantly to check for is the calcium/phosphorus levels for the large breed puppy.

Some helpful sites in considering pet food:
TruthaboutPetFood.com
Petsumer Report
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Katie
Birthday: 11/15/09
11 months young; 53#; Jindo/GSD
<3
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 AM

First, look at the ingredients.

Many dog food companies make crap; I've read that years ago, they discovered this market as a profitable answer to get rid of some of their junk.

Regarding canned, keep in mind the three-D's; i may be that the animal was either dead, diseased, or dying and therefore found to be unfit for human consumption.

Many of the dry foods are filled with filler (junk) that your dog doesn't need. Look at the ingredients, what's listed? Things like "by-products," or grain or "brewers ..." are the cheapest and most likely to be unfit for human food / leftovers / garbage. Do a little research.

Example: For dry, I use Innova large breed puppy food, or Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food.

*** Note that the previous two puppy food examples are specially formulated for large breeds - this is important, as too much protein in their diets at this stage can lead to problems.

My pup gets mostly dry, but in addition she gets occasional vegetables (like frozen carrots) fruit and maybe occasional egg, yogurt or even an occasional piece of raw beef (like a rib or a low-cost steak that's not very thick and lots of bone). Try to limit the protein as mentioned earlier.

And lots of mental and physical exercise.
:-)

Good luck!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM

i have my 10 month old on Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain-free chicken right now.
she loves it and her coat is very smooth and shiny and she has alot of energy now with it

Lock your girlfriend/wife and your dog in your trunk. Wait 3 hours... the one who is happy to see you when you let them out is your true best friend

Lexi, Golden Retriever, 10 years old
You will always be in my heart and no dog will ever replace you. Rest peacefully and I will be there to run with you again on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
tried the controversial/not-recommended TOTW Pacific STream.
i wouldnt say controversioal. it simply has Ca levels beyond the recommendation for large breed pups. its a matter of ones comfort level. Diamond labels it an all life stages food and that makes some folks feel ok.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page