Water pooh after BB adult whitefish with lifebits - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Water pooh after BB adult whitefish with lifebits

Well, I tried switching my pup 18 weeks now over to Blue Buffalo Adult the whitefish with life bits type from Bil-jac. I gave him less than a 1/4 cup BB per serving, he gets 2 1/4 cups total a day of food. So this works our to

1/4 cup BB and roughly 7/8ths of a cup of the bil-jac twice\day.

On the second day, he basically had a faucet coming out of his rear runny poop all of the place and he was also vomiting. It was bad enough that I called the vet thinking he may have parvo. He did not, he was just as active and ready to play as ever and was also drinking plenty of water. Switch him just to bil-jac and the stools were firm again.

I then tried adding in less of the BB about 1/8th cup to see if I could really slowly switch him. That didn't work either. So now I need to think about another food if I'm going to switch him to something better. Wife wants to keep him on the bil-jac but I'm kind've worried about allergies to the corn in it.

Is it worth trying another type of BB formula?
Another brand?

I liked the BB because it is easy to get from petsmart and not terribly expensive. Orijen is only available at some of the smaller stores and from what I've seen quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Master Member

Start by adding 5-10 kibbles per meal and reevaluate.

Maybe BB doesn't agree with him. Is there a reason you tried the Adult whitefish over LBP?

I don't have the experience that many have, but I can attest to Wellness LBP. It has been a great food for my 15week old, up to this point.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Orijen LBP is the best IMO and we've never had problems with it. Calcium levels are more correct in it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

It could be the whitefish, why dont you try Blue Buffalo LBP?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloader View Post
Start by adding 5-10 kibbles per meal and reevaluate.

Maybe BB doesn't agree with him. Is there a reason you tried the Adult whitefish over LBP?

I don't have the experience that many have, but I can attest to Wellness LBP. It has been a great food for my 15week old, up to this point.
I went with the whitefish because the LBP was sold out and I've been reading that adult food is fine for pups. We have an adult dog as well and feeding them the same food would make things easier.

The bag says 1.0% calcium, does anyone know what the calcium content is on Orijen, Wellness LBP, or BB LBP?

I know for sure that Orijen is not sold at Petsmart or Petco, but not sure about Wellness I can check that out. I probably need to take a look at the BB LBP as well.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Master Member

Just remember, the slower the better.

Start with 5 kibbles sprinkled on the food to test your pup's sensitivity to new food.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

BB tore my pup up as well. LBP formula. I then switched to Eukanaba. After a thread on here last week bashing Eukanaba and educating me. I am trying to switch again.

One thing I notice... my puppy picks out the BB and leaves the eukanaba. which clearly indicates what he likes better, but that makes it hard to slowly make the conversion. sooo... I added water. now he eats both the BB and the Euk.

seems like a lot of pups have an issue with BB, so I'd just say take it real slow, and make sure he's eating the old food too.

good luck

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

There is a lot of word about adult food being fine for puppies. It is not always the case. You have to do your research and learn about the adult food to see if it is appropriate. IMO, it is easier to feed a LB puppy food that is formulated for the growth stage.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
There is a lot of word about adult food being fine for puppies. It is not always the case. You have to do your research and learn about the adult food to see if it is appropriate. IMO, it is easier to feed a LB puppy food that is formulated for the growth stage.
I agree. I will always feed my puppies puppy food. It is designed for puppies, IMO adult food is for adults

Lauren

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
BB tore my pup up as well. LBP formula. I then switched to Eukanaba. After a thread on here last week bashing Eukanaba and educating me. I am trying to switch again.

One thing I notice... my puppy picks out the BB and leaves the eukanaba. which clearly indicates what he likes better, but that makes it hard to slowly make the conversion. sooo... I added water. now he eats both the BB and the Euk.

seems like a lot of pups have an issue with BB, so I'd just say take it real slow, and make sure he's eating the old food too.

good luck
He is having a problem on the BB adult, you had a problem on BB puppy, there is a difference.

IMO alot of problems occur when people switch foods too fast, feed too much or dont give the puppy time to adjust to the new brand.

Lauren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page