thin stage or a problem???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

thin stage or a problem????

hi guys i have a 14 month gsd, he is realy thin my vet has recomended he goes back on to a realy good puppy food, which i have done, he is being fed 4 times aday, amix of tin meat and dry, ....... i need to know if this is a stage these dogs go through??? as i have been told this several times..... and if it is roughly how long does this stage last???????????? help please anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

He should be on an adult dog food now. What brand are you feeding him? How much does he weigh?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Too thin

Thin is normal for that age. A lot depends on what your feeding and how much. Also how is your dog digesting it's food. What do the stools look like?

What brand of food do you feed now and how much are you feeding per meal or day? I would certainly be using a digestive enzyme supplement like PROZYME or other like it with each meal. It helps a lot.

ProZyme - Maximize Nutrition by Improving Nutrient Absorption

Wholistic Digest-All Plus - Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics for Your Dog!

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly, chances are your dog's weight is fine. Alot of people including vets think german shepherds should be HUGE- you want yours to grow at a slow steady weight.

But, can you share his weight?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Member

4X a day? How do you do that? Did the vet run blood work...maybe a problem. Most vets are happy with a dog on the lean side.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Knighted Member

You should post some pictures. My dogs were always on the lean side during adolesence, thier not fully grown till almost 3. I remember being disappointed with our first gsd, he was really scrauny, he filled out perfectly.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

I never listen to anything a vet tells me about food. Anyone who recommends science diet or anything like that has no idea what theyre talking about. Get him off the puppy food and get him on a good adult food.

What are you feeding? How much and how often?

Can you see the dogs ribs when he walks and breathes? Can you feel them? Whats your dogs weight and height at his withers (top part of shoulders)?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Master Member

" I never listen to anything a vet tells me about food"

Lucy dog has a good point. Most vets only receive food training by the pet food supply companies...one vet I talked to (our vet was on maternity leave) had never heard of the raw diet!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
You should post some pictures. My dogs were always on the lean side during adolesence, thier not fully grown till almost 3. I remember being disappointed with our first gsd, he was really scrauny, he filled out perfectly.
You have to post some photos so we can see your dog. There's no way otherwise we can tell, and hate to guess by saying your dog is fine, then later on find out your vet is right and your dog is too thin....

PHOTOS! From the side and the top looking down.

How much (many cups?) and what food are you giving now? PICTURES OF DOG MOST IMPORTANT!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

I have a male who is very thin right now. He is 9 months old, probably already over standard height and weighs all of 65 lbs. I mean, he is thin looking. Some are super gangly as youngsters. I know this dog's sire and dam and I think he will be a substantial dog one day.

You can try to up caloric intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page