Puppy Chow, blahhh - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Puppy Chow, blahhh

As of right now, this is what Murphy can tolerate. If he gets even a few morsels of the 4 Health, he gets runny stool. I wonder, could it be because 4Health is richer? It is corn, soy and wheat free and the protein source HAVE to be better than PC. The big thing I noticed is that 4Health Puppy has Lamb in it.. Could it be this he's reacting too?

I HATE feeding him PC, but I'm nervous to try anything else and I don't want to shell out money for food that might make him sick and then if it doesn't work out, either toss it or feed it to Zeva but then I'm lowering her food standards.

I went to try a step up, go gradual. I know all store brands are crap, but what if that's all they can handle? Thinking next step up would be Iams. It's lamb free but better than PC, not much, but still better?

Any suggestions or does anyone know where I can get free samples online? I'd like to try before I buy if possible. Save money and waste.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryanGoddess View Post
As of right now, this is what Murphy can tolerate. If he gets even a few morsels of the 4 Health, he gets runny stool. I wonder, could it be because 4Health is richer? It is corn, soy and wheat free and the protein source HAVE to be better than PC. The big thing I noticed is that 4Health Puppy has Lamb in it.. Could it be this he's reacting too?
My dogs can't handle lamb for some reason.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That's what I was thinking that maybe it's not so much that the foods too rich, it's got lamb in it.

I do have a small bag of Natural Balance LID Sweet Pots and Fish here and small sample of Sammy Snacks but I don't want to make him sick trying something out

FUDGE! Thought lamb was one of the most tolerated things for dogs!

Craptastic, take it back about the Sammy Snacks, it's Puppy Lamb dog food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

My miracle weak tummy food is Purina EN. I don't approve of other Purina products, but EN is fantastic for firm poops and sick tummies. You can only get it from your vet, but I highly recommend that you give it a try.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ok, thanks. I've never heard of it. He's good as long as he doesn't get into Zeva's food. Just a bite or two, the next time he goes it's mush again

Waiting at the Bridge:
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM

IF Murphy is still a puppy maybe you changed him from puppy food to that food to fast. You have to make gradual change by mixing the new and the old one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

He's 9 1/2 wks old. I went straight to the 4Health and expected some upset, but it just kept going on and on and when he didn't form any solid stools, I put him back on the puppy chow, With in 24 hours, he was back to normal. Like I said, all he needs is a bite of the other puppy food and it gives him loose stool. Just a bite, that's all it takes.

Zeva seems to have a pretty good stomach on her, he's def more sensitive. I understand that he's young, but for so little to effect him the way it does, I can't help but wonder if it's not a sensitivity issue at play...

Waiting at the Bridge:
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Tho I'm not a fan of puppy chow either, for right now, I think since it's working for him, I'd keep him on it.

Wait a couple months and gradually introduce him to something else..maybe a chicken based food, vs the lamb?

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryanGoddess View Post
He's 9 1/2 wks old. I went straight to the 4Health and expected some upset, but it just kept going on and on and when he didn't form any solid stools, I put him back on the puppy chow, With in 24 hours, he was back to normal. Like I said, all he needs is a bite of the other puppy food and it gives him loose stool. Just a bite, that's all it takes.

Zeva seems to have a pretty good stomach on her, he's def more sensitive. I understand that he's young, but for so little to effect him the way it does, I can't help but wonder if it's not a sensitivity issue at play...
Gradually mix the new food with the puppy food at small amounts until its 100% new food
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White German Shepherd View Post
Gradually mix the new food with the puppy food at small amounts until its 100% new food
The OP has said a few times now that even a bite of the new food causes loose stools so I don't think its an issue of changing foods too fast.

I agree, stick with this food for a bit and then try another food that is chicken based.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page