What is w/ this food thing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What is w/ this food thing?

So, when I get Murphy, I decide to change his food, she was feeding him Puppy Chow. I have 4Health Puppy, just got a huge bag of it, figured both dogs can eat it. I got him Thurs and started feeding it to him right away... So didn't want to buy Puppy Chow.. blahhh...

First day or two, loose stools I kinda expected, big change.. .well it just kept going on. No firm stools at all, still he enjoyed it and ate like mad just had a lot of wet poop. Finally I decide that this is crazy, I can't have him crapping every 30-45 min and it's not healthy, but I'm so many days into the 4Health, I'm worrying if I switch it back, it'll start all over again or get worse.

Sooo, I break down and buy a bag of Puppy Chow, just the normal crap, not the Large Breed crap which is very hard to find.. it was just plain old PC.

Well, he gobbles it up yesterday, not that much change in his poop after initial consumption. Zeva wants it, thinks she's missing out on something yummy. Tries to finish what he doesn't eat before I can shove my hand in the cage and pick up the bowl.

Joe took them out this morning, before I could get up, he was walking in as I was putting my coats on, said he pooped and peed as soon as he put him down. GREAT. No potty in cage two nights in a row now.

I take him out a little later, just to make sure he's done and maybe pee again.. then he poops... a log! WTF, PC gives him better poop than the better stuff I was feeding him.

My dogs seem to prefer craptastic food! Am I the only one that has weird dogs like this? So, now I don't know how long to keep him on this crap to see if I can change him over again for real this time. I only got like a 8lb bag.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Master Member

When you switched Murphy over to the new food...did you do it gradually over time or all at once?

It's easier on their little systems to do any sort of food changes gradually. Like...25% new food/75% old food for a week then 50/50 then 75 new/25 old then 100% new. Over a period of a few weeks.

If you switched Murphy's food without weaning him gently onto it, that might be what caused all the poops.

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Crowned Member

They spray it with "stuff" that makes it more palatable I think. Like junk food for us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

yeah, it was an all at once switch, but I thought he'd turn around faster than he did. I'm gonna have to go real slow next time.

I did NOT know they sprayed it w/ 'stuff'.. freaky!

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

I'm wondering if you were feeding too much of the 4 Health..... I know the "serving size" is much bigger for PC then for better kibbles out there. And over feeding is the biggest reason for pudding poops.

4 Health says to feed 4 cups to a 75 lb dog. Large breed Puppy chow varies from 4 1/2 to 5 cups... just an idea

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page