11-week old isn't eating as much... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

11-week old isn't eating as much...

When we first got him at 8-weeks he devoured his food (Purina Pro Plan), then we found out this food isn't the greatest so we switched him over to Solid Gold Wolf Cub. We only took a few days to switch because we were getting low on the Purina and didn't want to buy another bag, but his stools were solid throughout the whole transition. He has been on straight Solid Gold for a couple of days, and all of a sudden he won't eat as much. We are feeding him 3 cups a day, 1 cup at each meal. It all started yesterday, after I left my girlfriend's parents house and left him there for them to watch him until my girlfriend got out of work. They said he wouldn't eat his lunch, and I guess he got ahold of some of the adult dog food that they feed their lab. I figured he got fed too many treats while I wasn't there (they like to overfeed their dog, he is obese with hip problems). So this morning I give him his 1 cup at breakfast, he eats most of it but not all. I just tried feeding him lunch and he sniffed it but didn't take any. I'm not sure if he doesn't like the food, or if he just isn't hungry. I'm wondering if I should try to switch foods again, because I have a 4lb bag and a 15lb bag (that I picked up on sale at Petco) of SG. I'm wondering if I should take the 15lb bag back and try getting Orijen or something. I was going to switch over to Orijen to begin with, but the store only had a large bag of the LBP so I decided to get SG instead. I'm not sure why he doesn't like it. Should I wait a couple more days before deciding to switch again? He had a parasite when I brought him into the vet when I first got him, but has been on medicine to treat it so it is probably out by now. He has to go back to the vet next week to get the rest of his shots and to test his stool again, I'll be sure to mention this. But I figured I'd get some input from you guys as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Knighted Member

if was overfed yesterday (which sounds like a distinct possibility) or ate something he is not used to that is causing some intestinal upset, he may take a while to get back to his normal eating pattern. id wait a day or two and see if his normal appetitie returns.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I tried adding water to the food to see if he would eat it then, and he did for a little bit but then stopped again. I decided to return the Solid Gold Wold Cub bag that I bought, since he would eat other dog food that was left out for the older dogs. Bought him some Wellness Super5mix LBP and he seems to devour it so far, hopefully he won't change his mind again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Many dogs can become picky eaters if you change food to often. Trying to find one they like can be a challenge. If all else fails I would go back to Pro Plan and try the Selects Puppy turkey Rice. It has no corn, wheat, soy etc.

I have always added some form of powered supplement that will enhance the flavor. Add some warm water too. Try NUPRO or Show Stopper it sure has worked for my dogs.
Dog Vitamin Supplements Dog Vitamins Arthritis Dogs Treatments
Dog Health Supplements, Dog Nutrition Supplements, Animal Naturals, Wholistic Pet Organics

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page