Food for a 9 month old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Food for a 9 month old GSD

Hello,
Just wanted to throw this out there and see everyones opinions.

Ive had my german shepherd for a little over 6 months now. She has always been a good eater. Up until she was about 3 months old, she was on the puppy food that the vet recomended (i honestly cant remember the brand).
One day when we were feeding my dog and my girlfriends dog (1 year old sheltie/collie), Kaiah (my GSD) moved over and started eating my girlfriends dogs food (Beneful healthy coat). she seemd to enjoy that food more than the puppy food so i had made the switch (over about 2 weeks) to the beneful since she seemd to like it so much better.

recently, ive been talking with 2 local K9 officers who are also very good family friends of mine. They both said that the food i was giving Kaiah wasnt very good to give her. Both of them recomended Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy.

I had went and bought the smaller bag of the food to see if Kaiah would like it (i honestly didnt want to drop $55 on a bag of food my dog wouldnt eat.
so, i bought the bag home just at dinner time, mixed up the old beneful with the royal canin and set it down for Kaiah to eat.
I kid you not, i watched her pick up mouthfulls of the food mix, drop it on the floor, and eat nothing but the Royal Canin puppy food. The next time i fed her, i mixed in much less beneful and almost all Royal Canin. Again, she ate nothing but the Royal Canin food.

I was told that when she is about a year and a couple of months old, to mix the Royal Canin large breed puppy with the Adult GSD food for about a year, then switch to the full GSD food.

again, i just decided to post this to put it out there and to gather some of your thoughts on the food and the feeding (how much to feed and how many times a day)

Lock your girlfriend/wife and your dog in your trunk. Wait 3 hours... the one who is happy to see you when you let them out is your true best friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi, Golden Retriever, 10 years old
You will always be in my heart and no dog will ever replace you. Rest peacefully and I will be there to run with you again on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

i never fed my dog puppy food.
i feed different kibble and different
can food. i also feed raw ground beef,
cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast,
veggies and fruit.

when my dog was a pup he received
3 cups a day. his kibble always had
some of the above mixed in. he also
received table scraps depending
on what they were.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star5cr34m View Post
Hello,
Just wanted to throw this out there and see everyones opinions.

Ive had my german shepherd for a little over 6 months now. She has always been a good eater. Up until she was about 3 months old, she was on the puppy food that the vet recomended (i honestly cant remember the brand).
One day when we were feeding my dog and my girlfriends dog (1 year old sheltie/collie), Kaiah (my GSD) moved over and started eating my girlfriends dogs food (Beneful healthy coat). she seemd to enjoy that food more than the puppy food so i had made the switch (over about 2 weeks) to the beneful since she seemd to like it so much better.

recently, ive been talking with 2 local K9 officers who are also very good family friends of mine. They both said that the food i was giving Kaiah wasnt very good to give her. Both of them recomended Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy.

I had went and bought the smaller bag of the food to see if Kaiah would like it (i honestly didnt want to drop $55 on a bag of food my dog wouldnt eat.
so, i bought the bag home just at dinner time, mixed up the old beneful with the royal canin and set it down for Kaiah to eat.
I kid you not, i watched her pick up mouthfulls of the food mix, drop it on the floor, and eat nothing but the Royal Canin puppy food. The next time i fed her, i mixed in much less beneful and almost all Royal Canin. Again, she ate nothing but the Royal Canin food.

I was told that when she is about a year and a couple of months old, to mix the Royal Canin large breed puppy with the Adult GSD food for about a year, then switch to the full GSD food.

again, i just decided to post this to put it out there and to gather some of your thoughts on the food and the feeding (how much to feed and how many times a day)
I don't know how we all got along before this forum. This is the first time I've ever paid attention to what I was feeding my dogs and none of them (6) ever had health issues before that was food related. I have the 9 month old and 10.5 year old on a TOTW/Canidae mix because of what I've read here but I see no difference in the adult's coat,health,energy or anything else after 3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't feed RC" ANYTHING" to my GSD....it's full of crap....go to the forums on feeding out puppy...there is tons of really good information on foods for our dogs...both contents and cost are covered! BTW...welcome!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

I agree with not agreeing with the royal canin choice. For a dog food, you want it to meet certain requirements. It must not have corn, wheat, soy, by-products, or any unnamed meat.

And royal canin (which is pretty pricey) has corn gluten, and soy gluten, both you don't want in a food

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"

Last edited by GSDSunshine; 06-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Master Member

I applaud you for taking your dog off the Beneful; very poor food. Although I'm sure the K9 officers mean well, IMO their advice is poor also. I suspect they feed what they're told and I also suspect there is some kind of deal with the retailer or manufacturer for their dogs food.....based on my experience. I am curious what they would say if you asked "why is it so good?"; do they have education and experience in nutrition to support their opinion, based on the product ingredients? I really dislike the ingredients in RC, I think for the price it's very poor value. Personally I think Orijen is the food to go with if feeding dry.

How much to feed is very dependent on the activity level and caloric density of the food...the higher quality grain free foods for example generally have a higher caloric density and require you to feed smaller amounts. By 9 months mine ate twice per day, from the three-four when he was a young pup.

PS If you're looking for new foods for the dog, ask for sample bags or buy the smallest one possible so you don't find yourself wasting large sums of money on the big bags, until you find the one you both like.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration

Last edited by Gib Laut; 06-05-2010 at 02:10 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

So being that she is 9 months old and a pretty active dog (go to the dog park at least every other day, run around inside as well as outside) what brand of food would be the best?

i understand that it is a good idea to get to know alot of the different brands, but in all honesty im looking for more of a straight forward answer.

Lock your girlfriend/wife and your dog in your trunk. Wait 3 hours... the one who is happy to see you when you let them out is your true best friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will always be in my heart and no dog will ever replace you. Rest peacefully and I will be there to run with you again on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star5cr34m View Post
So being that she is 9 months old and a pretty active dog (go to the dog park at least every other day, run around inside as well as outside) what brand of food would be the best?

i understand that it is a good idea to get to know alot of the different brands, but in all honesty im looking for more of a straight forward answer.
you will get a different answer from just about everyone!...I say orijen but that was based on over a month of research and I was looking for a company I could trust, who believes strongly in biologically appropriate foods, uses lower temps in the process, uses local foods, ethoxyquin free, natural preservatives, grain free and offers more than one flavor to rotate.....

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Ive been looking through the food forums and ive found that pretty much the top 2 for grain-free puppy food is either Blue Buffalo or Orijen. (?)

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Knighted Member

BB isn't grain free...the Wilderness line made by BB is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page