Orijen Large Breed puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Orijen Large Breed puppy

Hello everyone,

I have Einstein on Orijen Large Breed Puppy which was highly recommended by my local pet store (one of those specialty pet stores, not petco or anything) but lately I've been concerned about the high protein content and possible consequences. I spoke to the people at Orijen and reassured me again and again (but of course they would, they want to sell the stuff). So what do you guys think? He's lean and the coat is shiny but I worry about him growing too fast. Should I switch him to maybe Acana (lower protein content?). Have you had your puppy on Orijen? if so how did it turn out?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Master Member

Do a search for Orijen on the forum, you will find that it is the most highly recommended grainless large breed puppy dry food. I have a bag at home for my puppy, but he won't touch it.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hey unloader. Yea I looked and that is part of the reason I went with Orijen to begin with. What I'm asking about specifically is skeletal defects due to a high protein diet in large breeds. Is there any basis for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

I fed my latest puppy Orijen Large Breed Puppy food for 12 months. He grew consistently, slowly and maintained the relative slimness I want in a growing puppy. His coat is great and he liked the food. I just xrayed his hips the other day and they are good. I have been happy with the results from the food.

It is the only grain free that I know of with suitable calcium/phosphorus levels for large breed pups. The protein level is not the issue but rather these minerals. Also, any food can be overfed. If a puppy takes in too many calories then they can be at risk for orthopedic problems. Orijen is nutrient dense so it is important to watch weight and adjust accordingly.

Large Breed Puppy Food Skeptvet.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

very nice! that's just what I wanted to hear to build my confidence in Orijen. My boy is also lean and is growing nicely, can't blame a dad for worrying though
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

I think many people are misinformed by people speaking about too high protein, when what matters is the calcium/phosphorous percentage. Metabolically speaking, a gram of protein has as many calories as a gram of carbohydrates, but dogs have an easier time breaking down and utilizing proteins. Because of this the dog can get more nutrition out of less food. Think about how much a dog that eats pedigree poops. They have to eat a lot because there isn't much in the food that can be utilized by the body. So they poop a lot of it out. With orijen, he should be able to get more from eating less. So really all you have to do is make sure you don't feed him too much.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I fed my latest puppy Orijen Large Breed Puppy food for 12 months. He grew consistently, slowly and maintained the relative slimness I want in a growing puppy. His coat is great and he liked the food. I just xrayed his hips the other day and they are good. I have been happy with the results from the food.
Ditto on all of the above. Halo was on it until she was just over a year old, until I finished out the bag. She's currently on the adult Orijen and Keefer is on the 6 Fish.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM

The place by me only has the regular puppy food, not the large breed puppy. Has anyone noticed a difference? If you buy it online, what stores do you frequent the most?

Thanks!
My 6 month old Copper (soon to be Kira) will be home on Saturday!!

-Celia
Kira (sable) GSD 10/09
Geordi (ferret)
Amanda (MaineCoon)
RIP
Max (GSD) (10/05 - 05/10) We love you and miss you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If they carry the brand they should be able to order the LBP for you - it's worth asking! Online is pretty expensive, I can't find it any place cheaper once you factor in the freight to get it here.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Hey unloader. Yea I looked and that is part of the reason I went with Orijen to begin with. What I'm asking about specifically is skeletal defects due to a high protein diet in large breeds. Is there any basis for that?
i posted the following on another thread:

here is one study that was done on Great Danes (champion didnt have anything to do with the study, i just referenced it from their site)

http://files.championpetfoods.com/Hi...reed_Study.pdf

conclusions of the study:

It is concluded that in this study the differences in
protein intake per se did not affect the occurrence of
disturbed skeletal development in young Great Danes,
and that an etiologic role for dietary protein in the
development of osteochondrosis in dogs is unlikely.

The radiographie and histologie examinations nev
ertheless revealed changes compatible with disturbed
enchondral ossification. The changes were equally
distributed among the groups, indicating that they
were not related to protein intake but rather to genetic
factors or another food constituent, most likely cal

cium, as was demonstrated in previous experiments
with Great Danes.

i think the fact that so many large breed owners have used orijen large breed puppy with great success over several years now supports that a diet high in protein (derived from meat sources) with controlled Ca levels is very suitable for large breed pups.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page