feeding problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

feeding problems

I have a 6 month old female that has had a very poor/low appitiete. At first I had her on Purina Pro plan for large breed puppies, and she has nibbled on it. Then after a couple months put her on IAMS for large breed puppies still not munching it down as I think she should. I have two Sr. dogs which I have on Pedegree Sr. and I gave my puppy a feeding of that this morning. She ate it like it was her last meal. I looked up the ingredients in the first two puppie foods and the #1 was chicken while in the Sr feed the #1 was ground whole corn.
I do not want to keep switching foods with her but need to find one that she will like. Also, I would like to add that she itches herself alot. She is treated for fleas and I have not found a one on her or any signs of fleas, she has had 3 baths with puppy shampoo since I have had her (6 weeks old) and is in what seems to be great health otherwise (playful, alert, friendly, great with kids and adults)
I would like to know opinions on Pedegree puppy food. It is a universal puppy food, not for large nor small breeds. The first ingrediant is Ground Whole Corn.
Any thoughts are appriciated, and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Master Member

READ READ READ old posts and settle on a good kibble you can afford and your puppy likes. First off you don't want any grains in your dog food let alone being in the first 3 ingredients.
Try adding water to your puppy's food and stir it up works all the time for me.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Why dont you want any grains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Purina and Iams are not great foods. Pedigree is probably the worst. When we got Ike he was on Pedigree LB and eating probably 8-9 cups a day and still not in great condition. Corn is hard for dogs to process and consequently they need to eat a lot more of it to get the nutrition that they need. More food also equals more poop. Ike went from pooping 4-5 times a day to 1-2 times a day. We switched him to Natural Balance which was what our other dogs were eating. He only eats 3 cups a day now and has gained weight and his coat is much better.

Regular Puppy food is also not good for our dogs. If you are going to feed a puppy food it needs to be Large Breed. Some people also use an All Life Stages food right away. Our dogs need to grow slowly and carefully for their joint health.

Many people like grain free foods and we feed grain free to all of our adult dogs, but a high quality grain food is not bad. I like Wellness Large Breed Puppy, Innova Large Breed Puppy, or Candidae.

dogfoodanalysis.com has reviews on pet food that might be helpful.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Master Member

What he said...
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I sure do appriciate all the help I can get. I have tried watering her food down and that doesnt work. I have tried Grizzly Salmon oil supplement added to it and she does not like that either. I will write the above brands down and head out to the store and look at ingredients. She has slowed down eating so much that her BMs have slowed down to every other day. She is drinking water so I am not concerned about dehydrating, just nutrition.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Personally, I would seek out an afordable dry food that is high in protein percentage and try mixing a little wet food in with it (1/4-1/3 can to 3 cups of dry food). This is how we finally got Prince on a descent diet that he would actually eat. I also sometimes put in a few green beans and even protein table scraps. His excrement is 1 or 2 a day also and always looks healthy
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Master Member

Have you checked for worms? Normally my pups would stop eating only they had worms. You can feed boiled chicken with cooked white rice until you get her stable. You can also add a couple spoon full of yogurt or cottage cheese daily that might help but I really think it might be another issue because puppy's normally aren't to picky if they feel ok.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

Lets compare Pedigree Puppy food to Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy and Solid Gold Wolf Cub

Pedigree puppy
Ground Whole Corn , Chicken By-product Meal , Rice, Corn Gluten Meal (source of Lutein*), Animal Fat (preserved With BHA And Citric Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Monocalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)[source of DHA*], Vegetable Oil (aource of Linoleic Acid), Vitamins (Dl-alpha Tocopherol Acetate [source of Vitamin E], Choline Chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [aource of Vitamin C*], Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], D-calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Dried Vegetables (Peas, Carrots), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Potassium Iodide), Marigold Extract, Added FD&C Colors (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Blue 2), Rosemary Extract.

Blue Buffalo LB puppy

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Potatoes, Peas, Flaxseed(natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium .

Solid Gold Wolf Cub
Bison, Ocean Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Bran, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavoring, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Panthothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid

Which one would you rather eat?

Blue Buffalo and Solid Gold are great brands of dog food.

Pedigree is a terrible brand of food

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Master Member

If you're going to go with a grain free kibble, which in my opinion would be best, the only one I know of with the proper calcium balance is Orijen. Too little and too much calcium can cause long term health issues. The itching is likely an allergy, probably food but can also be some environmental as well. Increase the EFA's you're adding to help the coat and shampooing can do more harm than good sometimes....you can try a colloidal oatmeal rinse instead....take about 1 cup colloidal oatmeal, dissolve in a bucket of temped to warm water, pour on the dog. Let sit 15-30 min. and rinse. You can also add baking soda too if the itching is really bad.

Some times these food issues can be attributed to over feeding, so not sure if that was happening, or sometimes the dog is trying to tell you that something else is going on.

Good luck

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page