So many kibble recommendations; its overwhelming! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

So many kibble recommendations; its overwhelming!

Trying to find the right kibble for my 5 month old. All of the many posts here and elsewhere; and advice from various people on kibble recommendation is overwhelming!

My breeder had my puppy on Science Diet. I switched him to Blue Buffalo large breed. He's been on it for a couple of months now and I haven't been able to get his stool to firm up. Vet checked him and he is healthy so its the food. Based on various recommendations and what I've read online, I tried easing him into Orijen puppy little at a time, the diarrhea only got worse.

He's now on boiled chicken and rice and his poop is getting better. I just bought a small bag of TOTW (5lb bag to try), but now I'm reading that the calcium content is too high for puppies!

Someone told me to try Acana, and someone else recommended Fromm. I'm so confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Are you sure that his soft stool doesn't have a medical cause? It could be the food, or it could be any number of other things, including several different kinds of worms, giardia, coccidia, or SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). Until you rule out a medical cause you may just be spinning your wheels.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Knighted Member

I am sure many experienced will have great advise, but one thing I learned the hard way is to go really slow when changing foods. Add some pumpkin but go slow....I just recently made change to BB, it took 3 weeks and some runny stool, lots of pumpkin and support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Don't forget overfeeding a richer higher protein can cause runny poo.
My personal opinion if I did feed kibble would be Orijen or Wellness super5mix large breed puppy as the calcium/phosphorus levels are correct for a GSD.
I agree, go slow with the transition and give a probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement during the change.
Canned pure pumpkin is scarce so you may not be able to find it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Have you looked into solid gold wolf cub?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 PM

I agree, the world of kibble is overwhelming. But as one who doesn't want to feed raw, I'm going to keep researching. Also, I think what works well for one dog doesn't necessarily work for another.

I have a 7 mo old femal GSD that we got from our local shelter 2 mos ago. She had variable, but mostly soft poops from the get go. She was on Science Diet Development (from the shelter), so I thought it was the food. I tried a few different foods over the past 2 months, slowly transitioning, but not staying on one for perhaps long enough. I finally settled on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison as it was grain free and two friends who had poop issues with their dogs had success with it.

I thought Lilly was getting better, but no. Finally, though she had been wormed at the shelter and was on monthly oral worming medication, I had a fecal test done on her plus a Giardia test. Guess what? Postive for Giardia. I live in Southern CA and our vet said that he's never seen so much Giardia.

Lilly had 5 days of 7 g/day Pancur, then 7 days of 1500 mg/day Flagyl, and just finished a second 5 days of 7 g/day Panacur. We continued to treat because her stools got better on the first round of Panacur, then worse again on the Flagyl. I've also purchased and am using the supplements The Great Dane Lady recommends (Bac-Pac Plus and MSM). Plus, I'm using the Purina Fortiflora that the vet recommended.

Lilly has had 2 Lomomil 2x/day for the past 5 days (has really helped).

I've also cut back on her food volume from 5-6 cups / day to no more than 5 cups.

All her treats are grain free.

Her poops have been good today...maybe we're finally over the hump?

Bottom line, do a fecal check, more than once even! I wish I had done this earlier. Some parasites, like Giardia and Cocidia, are hard to catch on a fecal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 PM

correct calcium/phosphous levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
...My personal opinion if I did feed kibble would be Orijen or Wellness super5mix large breed puppy as the calcium/phosphorus levels are correct for a GSD.
Where does one find information on the correct calcium/phosphorus levels for a GSD?

Thanks for any help understanding the new (to me) bit of info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgraf View Post
Where does one find information on the correct calcium/phosphorus levels for a GSD?
Just don't feed over 1.5/1 and you'll be fine.

If you're looking for levels of specific foods, just go to the specific company's website and you'll find all the nutritional info. Make sure you're looking at max amounts and not the minimum amounts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 AM

Rambo was on Blue Buffalo Large Breed for 2 months and just slowly making the transition to Solid Gold WolfCub and his stools are still somewhat runny (about to start week 2) . I highly recommend them both and Wellness and Orijen seem great but I had a hard time finding them local so I went with BB.

2-17-2010 Rambo GSpup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page