Trying to switch.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Trying to switch....

I am trying to get my new pup off of TOTW, but we have been battling the pudding pies lately. I don't think the 5-10 kibbles of Orijen I was giving him is causing any of the bowel issues since he basically picks around the Orijen. Today I stopped mixing in the Orijen and went back to straight TOTW.

My vet said to leave him on what ever he was eating to begin with (so his GI settles to normal), which is TOTW.

I don't want my pup to grow too fast, but at the same time, I want to make sure what ever is bothering his GI tract clears up first.

So my question is, how long is too long for a puppy to be on TOTW?

Thanks!

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Don't leave him on the TOTW too long. Young puppies grow way too fast and feeding a food with high calcium like TOTW for too long isn't a good idea.

If Orijen isnt agreeing with his system, it might not be the right food for him. You want to do a nice slow transition which it seems like you're doing, but maybe the Orijen just isnt agreeing with him.

Maybe try another food. Have you considered trying the wellness super5mix? You can give that a shot. Lower protein so it might agree with your pup a little better and it's safe to feed to a large breed pup.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Don't leave him on the TOTW too long. Young puppies grow way too fast and feeding a food with high calcium like TOTW for too long isn't a good idea.

If Orijen isnt agreeing with his system, it might not be the right food for him. You want to do a nice slow transition which it seems like you're doing, but maybe the Orijen just isnt agreeing with him.

Maybe try another food. Have you considered trying the wellness super5mix? You can give that a shot. Lower protein so it might agree with your pup a little better and it's safe to feed to a large breed pup.
Could you quantify what you think is too long? I was hoping to have him off TOTW by mid june, so 2-3 weeks from now, would that be too long? He is currently 11 weeks old today.

I will definitely try wellness super5mix, thank you.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe you should try Solid Gold Wolf Cub? It slows down their growth rate so they dont grow too big too fast. The Company prefers that you keep the puppy on that brand until they are 1 year old and then you can switch them to whatever brand you want.

I had Sinister on Solid Gold Wolf Cub from 11 weeks old to 1 year old and was very happy with that brand and so was he. I also recommended that to my friends and they switched over to Solid Gold and are also very happy with it.

Good luck to you

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloader View Post
Could you quantify what you think is too long? I was hoping to have him off TOTW by mid june, so 2-3 weeks from now, would that be too long? He is currently 11 weeks old today.

I will definitely try wellness super5mix, thank you.
They really shoot up from the age he is now until like 5 or 6 months that I would try switching ASAP. I mean youre not going to kill the dog by feeding him the TOTW while switching, but they grow so much during this time, i think the lower the calcium the better.

If I were you, i'd wait until his stomach settles and then start the transition to wellness or solid gold or whatever as soon as you can. Do a slow switch from the TOTW to the new food. The transition to the new food should take about 2 weeks just to make sure you don't upset his stomach.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
They really shoot up from the age he is now until like 5 or 6 months that I would try switching ASAP. I mean youre not going to kill the dog by feeding him the TOTW while switching, but they grow so much during this time, i think the lower the calcium the better.

If I were you, i'd wait until his stomach settles and then start the transition to wellness or solid gold or whatever as soon as you can. Do a slow switch from the TOTW to the new food. The transition to the new food should take about 2 weeks just to make sure you don't upset his stomach.
Thank you! I think I will go for the wellness since it is available in my area, I have never seen solid gold around here. Hopefully his GI settles by the weekend.

I appreciate your help!

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page