Feeding guidelines for lanky 7 month old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Feeding guidelines for lanky 7 month old

Vida is now 7 months old. I'd say, around 50 pounds. Give or take a few. She's not as big as I expected her to be at this age (being a bigger puppy, and the biggest female in the litter)

I need her Wellness Super5mix or whatever, the purple one. She gets 4-5 cups of this a day depending on the amount of activity she is provided.
Everybody gives me a hard time about how skinny she is. Like, what do they want me to do about it? I explain, over and over she wil NOT fill out until atleast, ATLEAST a friggin year. For the love of god. I get argued with over and over. Her waistline is fine. It's the rest of her that resembles Scar from The Lion King. Basically not a lot of muscle, ontop of that she still has fur loss from flea allergys.
She gets things like marrow bones or elk bones with meat on them or buffalo ribs with meat on them 3 times a week. I give her 2 eggs a week, and also yogurt for more protein. She gets 1000mgs of salmon oil a day.
I'm so sick of having to argue with people who know nothing about the breed on why she looks so dumb right now.
What can I do to build more muscle on her? I'm not feeding her more than I already do because I believe that would be overfeeding her and dog food ain't cheap around here, I already spend close to $100 a month on food for her.

So, suggestions please =D.

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

50 pounds at 7 months old is not a big deal. Halo is 58-1/2 pounds at a year and a half old, and may not break 60 pounds when full grown. Right now she's almost exactly at the midpoint of the standard for an adult female, (which goes from 48-1/2 to 70-1/2 pounds), and her weight is perfect for her size.

Vida is a few pounds under the average weight of a 7 month old female, but still within the adult standard. Some dogs go through a lanky stage and there's not anything you can do about that, it's just her structure. Feeding her more is just going to make her chunky, and that's much worse than being on the lean side. Due to her hair loss her ribs are going to be more pronounced than they would be if she had a nice full coat and again, there's not anything you can do about that. The only thing that will build muscle is exercise, but at her age you want to do the right kind of exercise so you don't stress her developing bones and joints. If you've got a place where she can swim, that would be perfect.

When people ask why she's so skinny, explain that she's a puppy and perfectly normal for her age. And then ignore them, because they are obviously ignorant and you can't fix stupid. Arguing with them is pointless, so stop. Keep in mind that most people are used to seeing fat dogs so they think that's normal and you're not going to change their minds about that.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

48.5 pounds for a female gsd.. I couldn't imagine. I don't know how much she actually weighs, that is just an estimate but hopefully it's correct. I'm just worried she's going to look all weird forever. Wouldn't love her any less or more though.
Haha, that's right! I can't fix their uneducated comments towards me about her, but I definitely try to! We are going to Kelowna in a few days.. very excited to swim with her there for the first time!

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I've never had a dog go through a tall lanky stage, but it's pretty common, I see pictures all the time. Halo went though all sorts of weird stages though, her back end grew before her front end, so she walked around with this big ol' booty, and then it took forever for her head to grow into the rest of her body. My hubby was calling her Zippy (the pinhead) for the longest time, lol! Thank goodness she finally looks normal!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

maybe you have a smaller dog. your dog is
only 5 months old. who knows what
she's going to top out at.

the yogurt you feed, does it have sugar in it?

you think your dog looks dumb. with a comment
like that i'm not so sure what you know about GSD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
I'm so sick of having to argue with people who know nothing about the breed on why she looks so dumb right now.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

My 7 1/2 month old just packed on two much needed lbs in the last two wks.. she's now 55 lbs. She's tall and skinny, now she just doesn't look like I'm starving her. She's got long legs and big ears, still, but she's growing into them.

I got her fixed a month ago, and then she was REALLY thin, coming in at 49lbs and about 4" past my knee.

When we got her, her feet were huge, legs like tree trunks and radar ears... I thought for sure she'd be over 80lbs... 85 even maybe.. now.. I think I'd be shocked if she it 70lbs.

She's only starting to fill out now.. so who knows... she needs to grow out now, that most of the up is done... ppl still know she's a puppy because how lean she is.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
maybe you have a smaller dog. your dog is
only 5 months old. who knows what
she's going to top out at.

the yogurt you feed, does it have sugar in it?

you think your dog looks dumb. with a comment
like that i'm not so sure what you know about GSD's.
Trying to make more friends eh?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Anka is a pretty tall female and now at 2.5 years she runs between 65 and 70lbs. She was pretty lanky/skinny for awhile as a puppy. At 6 months and you can see she was pretty skinny. Time and maturity are what did the most for her. There is a certain amount of genetics involved in body type, I wouldn't necessarily up her food, but you can see if you can put more muscle mass on her. Swimming would be great! But as you can see from Anka (who was in pretty good shape) Sometimes you just have to wait for them to grow up.

Anka @ 6 months.

Anka @ 1.5 years.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Just tell folks its her "ugly duckling" stage and with maturity will come a lovely GSD girl. You cant change folks so just laugh em off.

Lysa

Norse Magic vom Kriegershaus "Rune" (Dec 08)
Kriegershaus Scout vom Haus Rauch (Dec 12)
At the Bridge: Magnus (1998-2010)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

yeah but I feel like I'm looking at her and I don't think she has grown (enough to show a difference) since April
This kinda worries me, like did I do wrong by feeding her adult food instead of LBP? Changing her food too much or any other factors? I just don't personally feel she looks as mature as she should by now!

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page