What to feed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

What to feed?

I have a 9 week old male german shepherd and a 2 year old lab mix female. They are currently eating Nature's Variety Prarie Lamb and Oatmeal Medley. I think it was about $50 for a 30 lb bag. They both seem to be getting thinner on it.

I need to find a food that I can feed them both preferably, that will be good for them, and that will be cheaper. Or I can put them on different foods as long as it is less than $50/mo for it.

Money is tight so we have to cut back on dog food price. Any suggestions?

Summer, the lab mix, is 22 inches tall and 55 lbs and Major is pure german shepherd and is 20 lbs at 9 weeks old.

Thanks,

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Crowned Member

not sure of the prices where you are but here grainfree foods like Blue buffalo wilderness and taste of the wild run $40-$50 **edit** -- oops just saw your pup is 9wks, those foods I listed are not safe for pups

if you haven't seen it yet Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble rates foods, anything with at least a 3 star rating is pretty good

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM

You could try CANIDAE All Life Stage regular (not grain free) it's 44# bag is around $45.00. Both dog can eat the same, the pup will eat more while growing the taper off to an adult amount.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Master Member

I am having the same issue. Food seems to be getting more expensive and I just took a pay cut at work. I will be switching my dogs over to diamond food. I just got a 44lb bag for $30.99 at the feed & grain store. They have food for pups also.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I went to the local feed and grain store and tried to get Diamond Naturals large breed puppy but they did not have it. So, I got Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy food. Both dogs love it, and according to the bag, they eat less of it than they did the Prairie all life stages food they were eating. I got a 34 lb bag of it for right about $40. I also got some pedigree canned dog food to mix in with it if needed to get them to eat. Has anyone used either of these foods?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgolike View Post
I went to the local feed and grain store and tried to get Diamond Naturals large breed puppy but they did not have it. So, I got Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy food. Both dogs love it, and according to the bag, they eat less of it than they did the Prairie all life stages food they were eating. I got a 34 lb bag of it for right about $40. I also got some pedigree canned dog food to mix in with it if needed to get them to eat. Has anyone used either of these foods?
I had my late GSD on Pro Plan for 12 years and he never had a problem. For my new GSD pup, I'll be moving to a higher quality food because I'm better educated on the subject and I believe there are better quality choices today than 14 years ago.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member

To the OP - Do you have a costco near you?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgolike View Post
Purina is below average and pedigree is just absolute crap. You can do much better than both of those foods especially the pedigree.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Purina is below average and pedigree is just absolute crap. You can do much better than both of those foods especially the pedigree.

I completely agree.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Like Lucy Dog ask.... Do you have Costco near you. The Kirkland Chicken/Rice adult food is 26% protein and 16% fat. Both dogs could eat the same food. Much less money than anything in the pet or feed store.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page