Help me out with allergies, please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Help me out with allergies, please!

I'm having problems finding a suitable food for Frag, and I need input on appropriate food for him, with regards to calcium levels, etc.

The problem is, he's allergic to chicken, so I really don't want to feed him a large breed formula with chicken as the main ingredient (which they all are!) and make him suffer, but I'm worried about calcium and his growth too. At this age, should I still be worried about it?

He also appears to be allergic to some grains, or maybe he just reacts bad to some foods. We had to take him off of raw for monetary and time purposes, and put him on Solid Gold Wolf Cub, but I think the grains in that bothered him because he began itching again. Since then we've switched him to Natural Balance's LID bison and sweet potato formula, but his poops haven't been very firm and I'm also worried about the calcium.

Someone mentioned 4health in a previous thread I was contributing to and talked to me about it, but I can't find the thread and info now, and can't remember if there was chicken in it or not.

I basically just need recommendations for a food that would be appropriate for his age at 8 months and his problems. Thanks in advance(:

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

How do you know for sure he is allergic to chicken? 8 month old pups usually don't develop allergies so early. Have you had tests run?
If you feed kibble, it will have so many other ingredients in it, hard to tell what triggers the itching.
I would do a homecooked or raw elimination diet if you don't want to spend the money for a Heska blood allergy test. Otherwise you are just going to be wasting time and spending money on food after food without getting good results. Been there, done that! It turned out to be environmental in our case.
If you want a food without chicken, go with a fish based limited ingredient, Wellness Core or Orijen.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We did the raw elimination and that's how we found out in the first place. I'm sure he has some environmental allergies too that we're dealing with, but chicken seems to set him off SO much more. Could be because he ate purina for the first few months of his life.

At 8 months old should I still be worrying about calcium levels? I'd like to feed an adult food like wellness core or orijen, but I'm stuck on the calcium problem. I think I may be overreacting about it, but I'd like reassurance so that he doesn't have any bone issues later.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page