Super skinny puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Super skinny puppy?

Cash is 14 weeks old and every time I take him for a walk, every person says "Wow! He's so skinny!! You need to feed him more!"

I thought the same thing so I asked my vet at my last visit and she said to maybe feed him about a 1/2 cup more than suggested on the back of the food bag, but no more. She felt he was thin, but he weighed about right for his breed, and that he would fill out eventually.

He's 35 pounds at 14 weeks, which is right about where he should be. He's a large puppy in terms of structure, he's just really thin.

I don't have any pics from above but you know the chart they have in all vet's offices about what is overweight/underweight? He looks like the "severely underweight" one. Ha...

He's got a good appetite but not one where he is overly hungry. Sometimes he eats all his food in one sitting ( I feed twice a day) and sometimes it will take an hour before all the food is gone.

All his stool exams were perfect and he is in great health. Anyone have any idea why he still looks so skinny? Should I be feeding him more?

I'd take pics and send them but I'm off work for 2 weeks because I had my tonsils removed and my camera is in my classroom at school. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

What are you feeding?
I would up his food if you feel all the ribs, spine and hips. He may be going thru a big growth spurt(this age they seem to) and need a bit more. Add in a raw egg, alternate some yogurt every meal. If he starts feeling plump, back off. I wouldn't go by amounts so much, but how the pup actually feels as they are constantly growing and may need more during the spurts.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

It's healthier for them to be lean. Around 3-4 months, puppies seem to go through some pretty awkward phases. If he's not hungry then his body isn't telling him that he needs more. Our girl wasn't really into eating as a puppy and was pretty skinny, but she grew out of it and is a perfectly healthy weight as an adult.

I think often people just want to see roly poly puppies because that's how puppies look in their heads.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
What are you feeding?
Wellness Super5 Large Breed Puppy. So with the egg or yogurt I'm just adding some extra protein?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM

My pup has always been real thin. I also asked my vet but he was not concerned and said some Shepherds tend to be on the slim side when they are young. Willow is 8 months old and JUST topped the 50 lb plateau. I read a lot on here about pups months younger than her that weigh more than her now and wonder, but she is just naturally slim. Her ribs don't show but I can feel them. I don't want to overfeed her and make her overweight. So I feed a good quality food and feed the quantity listed on the bag. She is fine with that.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Better lean than fat. And since like 75% of dogs in the USA are FAT, people don't tend to know what a healthy and fit dog/puppy is supposed to look like.

That said, a picture is worth a thousand words! One from the top looking down (so like you are standing straddled over him. The other photo from the side, shoulders to base of tail. Put them up here so we can see.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM

ok this isn't my post, but I would like an opinion as to whether Tater is too skinny. He's 5 months, 32lbs and I feel like he might be too thin as well:

I feed him 3 cups a day (1.5 cups twice a day) of Innova LB puppy.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

Tater looks like a normal gangly pup! His ribs aren't showing in the pics, so no, not thin. If he seems to feel too thin during a growing stage up the food a bit.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Tater looks like a normal gangly pup! His ribs aren't showing in the pics, so no, not thin. If he seems to feel too thin during a growing stage up the food a bit.
I'll try, but he gets soft stools if we up it even a little. The thing is, he always seems to be SO hungry lol.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Elite Member

lol tater looks fine to me Jane put it perfect gangly pup. GSDs are so funny to watch grow because almost instantly they turn into all legs and just look like these starvin african dogs you see in wildlife shows but it's all how they grow lol.

Sounds like you are feeding him a decent amount most recommend between 3 and 4 cups but if he doesn't do well on more I wouldn't force it. Quite honestly I have yet to meet a pup that doesn't act like you are starving him even if he is roley poley lol. Maybe if you feel like you need to up it substitute with some good protein sources like give him some chicken or things like that to give some extra nutrients durin growth spurts and shouldnt be too much on his belly either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page