Two 7 Week Old Brothers Food Amount? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Question Two 7 Week Old Brothers Food Amount?

Using Science Diet for large puppy breed, i just can't figure out how much food I should be giving each one of my pups per meal per day (3 a day). When people say cups, do they mean measuring or the red throw away party cups? they're both about twenty something pounds. Btw is this one of the best dog foods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Are these puppies away from the mother already at only 7 weeks?

No, science diet is a poor quality food. Some high quality foods would be Wellness, Natures Variety, Orijen, Acana. When referring to cups its actual measuring cup size, not a glass.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:33 PM

When I have puppies that young. They get as much as they will eat steadily, 3x a day. I watch them eat, and when they leave their food, they are done and I pick it up and take it away until the next meal time.

At about 10-12 weeks I switch to feeding twice a day, around 4 months I have a pretty good idea of what they are wanting to eat per feeding and that's when I really start to regulate. Although I will also watch body condition and if someone's getting too fat, I may start to regulate earlier. I've never had a pup that got too skinny on this method.

ETA- If you have 2 and are feeding them together they are probably going to eat more than they would on their own because of competition.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

They are 52 days old from today. 7.43 weeks. Is that to soon to get a pup? And with the dog food, really a brand that says science diet? Yikes that's awful.

Thanks for the food regulation info. That's def going to help.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Most people recommend not taking puppies from their litter until they are 8 weeks old. I actually prefer 9-10 weeks if they are getting good care at the breeders. Some people do take as early as 7 weeks, but those people that do that on purpose are usually looking to imprint more specific behaviors and bonding on their puppies.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Science diet is about as bad of a dog food as you can feed. There are so many better choices out there for the same price. Science diet is not only a bad food, it's one of the more expensive foods out there too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

Me be pretty sure that this be the same guy that has the "puppy biting his throat in the evening" problem. Man... guy... dude... get serious local help. You have 10 to 14 years ahead of you with these dogs. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I sense that you suddenly have 2 GSD's and have limited experience raising other breeds. That's ok... really!! Just please be open minded enough to carefully read experienced people's opinions. You have the dog's lifetime at stake. Make it the best possible for the dogs AND you... so important.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:19 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Most responsible breeders won't even sell us 2 puppies at the same time. Too hard to raise them right (and $$$$ with all the food/training/vet bills). Much of the time the responsible 'new' owners of the 2 realize they are over their heads and return one of the puppies right away. So much better for everyone involved (specially the puppies..).

But if you have to keep them both, you need a heads up for the extra work and considerations for the situation you are now in. Great info on these sites:

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf

Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

Raising Siblings

You aren't crazy, 2 puppies really are harder to raise!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

My vet and my breeder both told me not to feed my puppy any puppy food, that it isn't good for GSDs. It causes rapid growth, and causes hip bone and joint problems. They told me to give him adult food. He will still grow into that big German Shepherd you want, but at a slower, safer rate.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Crowned Member

I say anywhere from 8-12 weeks is a good time to get a puppy.
I got my boy from a breeder at 11 weeks old

Science Diet is . I would NEVER feed my dog that, Vet's will try to push it on you but that food is terrible.

I recommend Solid Gold Wolf Cub or Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy

Solid Gold slows down their growth so that they dont get too big too fast, because that is not good for large breeds. I fed my by Solid Gold Wolf Cub and he loved it and he looked great on it. I recommended it to some of my friends and they are also pleased with the results.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page