how much is on target?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

how much is on target??

ok, I have read so much I am sooooo confused....

I need a chart for roughly how much a pup should be eating by weight and age...

Jake is 30 pounds and 12 weeks old...he gets 1 cup three times a day....

when does that amount increase??? And by how much and how often?

Thanks to all of you for sending me link to proper thread or repeating yourself yet again! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM

The amount your feeding largely depends on what your feeding but does he eat all his food each meal? You can increase by 1/2 cup a day each week or so and watch out the stools don't go soft. That is a good way to tell. He may want to eat more but more may not be healthy if he is growing to fast. At 16 to 20 weeks take off puppy food if your on a puppy food and change to adult food.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

odd question, but I noticed a difference between the scoop you buy at pet store and a plastic measuring cup out of my kitchen....seems the scoop holds more...which is the correct tool for measuring his food??? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 AM

I would just follow the chart on the back of your food bag. It can be a little vague but you can adjust. Go with a standard measuring cup. What I did was find an old cup in my cupboard and mark off where 1 cup is. That way you aren't constantly "measuring". I have a 14 wk old male and he's getting 3 1/4 cup a day (per the Wellness instructions). It sounds like you are right at about that. I only split into two feedings but that is just because I come home at lunch to let him out and run for a 1/2 hour and that doesn't really allow a lot of time to eat a 3rd time.

You just reevaluate things every month or 10 lbs gained. Take a look at the chart again and adjust.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Tag is 14 weeks today. At 12 weeks when he was in for his shots, he weighed in at 26.2lbs. Tag eats approx. 3 cups 2x a day. Feeding puppies is sort of done by feel. I generally put 2 cups of food in Tag's bowl and leave his bowl with him for 10-15 minutes. After that, whatever he leaves is picked up and taken away for another meal. So, I sort of let him show me how much he needs to eat. Now, Tag is starting to look a little chunky, so I'm going to monitor him. I'm waiting to see if he hits a growth spurt, if he starts to lose his waist then I'll start cutting back what he is offered.

If Jake looks good, I would just stick with what you're feeding until he starts to look skinny, and then I'd add in a 1/2-1 cups until he loks good again.

On a good quality kibble my dogs usually start out at 8 weeks around 2 cups increase to about 4 cups in Months 4,5,6 and around 7 months start to need less and decrease to about 2 cups by a year which is about where all my adults are.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for all the help! We go to vet for next round of vaccines Monday, will weigh in then!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
I need a chart for roughly how much a pup should be eating by weight and age...
You really don't! For one thing, the number of cups is completely meaningless without knowing what you're feeding and if it's a fairly high calorie kibble or a fairly low calorie one - obviously, they wouldn't be comparable.

I use the recommended feeding guide on the bag as a general starting point, and adjust from there based on the condition of my puppy. Puppies usually need from 1-1/2 to 2 times as many calories as an adult dog of the same weight, but as they get older and their growth slows down, that ratio will shrink. Just keep an eye on his condition - if he looks good now (not chunky, lean but not skinny) you're feeding him the right amount. Worry about how much and when to adjust the amount he eats per day as the situation changes.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page