Orijen LBP, how much for 9week old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
unloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 516
Orijen LBP, how much for 9week old?

I'm totally confused how much I should feed him when I get my new pup.

I just purchased Orijen LBP. I will be getting my new puppy in a week or two (he will be 8.5 or 9.5 weeks at that time) and was curious how much I should feed him.

At 7 weeks, the breeder said he is about 13lbs. I looked at the feeding guidelines on the orijen site, and the large breed formula states for 55-65lbs range, he should get 1 3/4cups since he will fall into the 1.5-3month range when I have him. Or do I feed him 2cups since he is projected to be 80-90lbs.

The regular Orijen puppy food breaks down how much to feed based on age in weeks with lower weights.

So do I feed LBP for projected weight or something else?!?

Maybe I am making more out of it than it has to be, but I'm lost.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unloader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,832
I just feed as much as they want to eat three times a day until they start to get pudgy. This works for most puppies. There are a few puppies that will eat until they burst and those you have to limit feed.

Elaine and the herd
Elaine is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator
 
MaggieRoseLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bushkill, PA (The Poconos!)
Posts: 27,477
I really watch my puppy and the amounts change as they grow. Better a bit lean than fat, that's what can add to later hip problems.

Find out the amount the breeder was feeding whatever they were feeding and use that as a base amount. I usually feed at least twice a day when they first get to my house at 7 weeks, but then go to twice a day for the rest of their lives.

At one point my Glory B was up to about 4 cups (2 c twice a day) but now at 14 months is down to about 2 cups daily (plus liberal training treats during the day and in her Purple Squirrel Dude). So it changes as they grow, varies with the amount of exercise you can give them (winter is bad for me and the girls ), and other variables.

The amount on the bag is always a GENERAL guideline, and use the size they are not that they are going to be. You have to keep in mind, they are trying to sell dog food, so usually I have found them to be overly generous on the amounts for my dogs.




***

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
unloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I really watch my puppy and the amounts change as they grow. Better a bit lean than fat, that's what can add to later hip problems.

Find out the amount the breeder was feeding whatever they were feeding and use that as a base amount. I usually feed at least twice a day when they first get to my house at 7 weeks, but then go to twice a day for the rest of their lives.

At one point my Glory B was up to about 4 cups (2 c twice a day) but now at 14 months is down to about 2 cups daily (plus liberal training treats during the day and in her Purple Squirrel Dude). So it changes as they grow, varies with the amount of exercise you can give them (winter is bad for me and the girls ), and other variables.

The amount on the bag is always a GENERAL guideline, and use the size they are not that they are going to be. You have to keep in mind, they are trying to sell dog food, so usually I have found them to be overly generous on the amounts for my dogs.
Thank you for your help! I will find out how much the breeder is feeding.

As far as what orijen LBP says to feed, I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If my puppy is approximately 16lbs at 9 weeks when I get him, then I would feed about 1/2 cup per day?

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unloader is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 31,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by unloader View Post
As far as what orijen LBP says to feed, I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If my puppy is approximately 16lbs at 9 weeks when I get him, then I would feed about 1/2 cup per day?
No! You feed based on his age and his estimated size at maturity. GSDs should fall within the 65-90 pound range, so that would be my starting point, which is 2 to 2-1/4 cups per day for a 1-3 month old puppy. As MRL stated, that's a general guideline, so adjust as necessary to keep him in proper condition - lean, but not skinny, and definitely not fat.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Cassidy's Mom is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
unloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
and use the size they are not that they are going to be.
This is why I interpreted feeding based on the actual size of the puppy and not the projected size. I now understand to feed on projected full grown weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom
No! You feed based on his age and his estimated size at maturity. GSDs should fall within the 65-90 pound range, so that would be my starting point, which is 2 to 2-1/4 cups per day for a 1-3 month old puppy. As MRL stated, that's a general guideline, so adjust as necessary to keep him in proper condition - lean, but not skinny, and definitely not fat.
Ok, now I am clear. Thank you. I understand they are guidelines, I just wanted to make sure I will be providing the correct nutrition for my puppy.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unloader is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator
 
Cassidy's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 31,980
I think what's confusing is that MOST puppy foods have guidelines on the bag that area based on the actual weight of the puppy. I fed Halo Orijen LBP, and it's one of the few that base their recommendations on the projected adult weight.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Cassidy's Mom is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
unloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I think what's confusing is that MOST puppy foods have guidelines on the bag that area based on the actual weight of the puppy. I fed Halo Orijen LBP, and it's one of the few that base their recommendations on the projected adult weight.
This is exactly the reason I was confused. Thank you for helping out.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unloader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orijen LBP to Orijen 6 fish Kaiser2012 Feeding Our Puppy 5 07-19-2012 08:28 PM
Wellness LBP or Orijen LBP? s14roller Feeding Our Puppy 8 04-07-2011 10:40 PM
Innova LBP, Artemis FM LBP, Chicken Soup Puppy??? KG K9 Feeding Our Puppy 16 05-24-2010 08:40 PM
Blue buffalo LBP vs orijen LBP ali2020 Feeding Our Puppy 9 02-02-2010 09:48 AM
orijen adult vs. orijen lbp Iannotti Diet & Nutrition 14 06-30-2009 01:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome