11 week old puppy wont eat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

11 week old puppy wont eat

I picked up my puppy (Alessandro) on 4-23-10. He turned 10 weeks old on the 24th. My concern over the weekend was that I could only get him to eat about 2 cups of food over the entire weekend.

The following Monday I took him to the vet to have him checked over and talked to her about my concern and she said it could be just the transition to his new home and dealing with the change in food and anxiety from being away from the parents he had been kept with.

After the weeks progression I am still only able to get him to eat maybe around a cup of food every two to three days. Ive now tried mixing the dry food with wet food from the vet to see if he would eat more, but there isn't a difference.

Has anyone else had similar problems related to "anxiety" in a dog not eating very much?

They told me he was a little underweight when I had him at the vet on the 23rd. Said he weighed in a 22.8lbs...they said they could do some xrays to see if he had esophagus problems. Then she proceded to tell me that when he gets hungry he will eat.

Should I go to a different vet? Or should I just let him come out of his shell as the first vet suggested?

-A concerned mommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

What kind of kibble are you feeding him?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Royal Canin Maxi Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

Is that what the breeder had him on? Maybe soak some of it and see if he'll eat that way for a few meals.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM

HMMMM... That's the same thing that happened to my pup; she looked super skinny; at first it took about 1 1/2 weeks to get her eating right.... now she's fine; I say give it time! and yes; wetting the food helped... a lot
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

The vet was feeding him Purina puppy chow mixed with moist and meaty (cheeseburger)

No wonder he wont eat the Royal Canin i bought him
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Buy some of what he was eating, and mix it with the stuff you WANT him to eat. Gradually increase the good food and decrease the other.

GSD's can just be picky eaters and (for me) it's not worth waiting them out when I can just add a bit of what THEY want to get them to eat what I want. Compromise works in all parts of life!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM

23 lbs at 10 weeks is not really underweight. Cash is 12 weeks now and weighs 28 lbs. He weighed that at 10 weeks and everything checked out well with him. I've also paid attention to other people's posts on here about weight and that is right in line with where he should be.

Cash ate like that his first week and a half home. Now he is always wanting to eat. Give it a few weeks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 PM

My puppy is doing the exact same thing. After having Golden Retrievers who LIVE TO EAT, it's so unusual for me to have a dog that could care less about food!! I've had him home now for one week and he eats maybe one cup a day if that. He just isn't that interested. I did take him to the vet for a slight bacteria problem in his stool, so that could also had contributed to his lack of appetite.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

How was his fecal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page