My puppy is home! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

My puppy is home!

Hi everyone!
Wow! What a night I had! It was really great! I picked up my puppy last night and we just had our first night together. He did great! I put him in his crate around 11:30 after he fell asleep playing and he cried for about 3 minutes and went right to sleep. He work up around 2.5 hours later and went outside to potty. I put him back in his crate and he was quiet for another 3 hours and we repeated the process. We did it once more at 6:00 a.m. and then when I brought him in I let him play with me since I planned on being up and he fell asleep on the blanket after about 15 minutes. Is this just a fluke? Is he going to be this easy?

The only problem I'm having is that he doesn't want to eat. He is drinking just fine and he's eating the small piece of cheese I give him when he goes potty, but he's not interested in his food. Any suggestions?

Also, what can I use to give him a bath? I don't have any puppy shampoo handy but would like to bathe him. Is there anything I can use at home? Also, how do you dry him? Do you let him air dry or can I use a low temp. low speed hair dryer? Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Congrats! Finally your wait is over
Are you feeding him the same thing the breeder was? He'll probably start in this morning, but I would limit the cheese and use his kibble right now for treats. If something better than kibble is offered he may hold out for that.
I would towel dry him after his bath, keep him warm and don't use human shampoo. Go to a groomer or good pet store and get a quality oatmeal based shampoo. Nothing like a flea shampoo, that would be dangerous for a baby.
Oh, & take lots and lots of pics! Especially after his first bath, those pics are just too cute!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Onyx has you covered, but I'll go ahead and say no it won't always be so easy. That doesn't mean it will be horrible either though. Our puppy has given us very little stress compared to stories I've read/heard/seen from other people and their pups. I know that we've done a decent (not amazing and by no means perfect) job of raising her so far, but I think it's more that she was just born to be a good girl. Hopefully your boy will be the same.

Congrats on your new little guy and make sure you share some pictures!

Eva
GSD/Husky mix
Born - 12/7/2009
Adopted - 2/24/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

Sometimes it is easier when the breeder sets the pups up to succeed. Karlo was super easy to housetrain and he was already use to being crated alone for short periods, so the transition was smooth for both of us. He still is a good boy, I only crate him when we aren't at home.
I did bring home some crate pads that I had previously left with the breeder so the scent was familiar to him.
Today is the anniversary of when I brought Karlo home. It was a great time of year to have a puppy, no frigid temps to deal with or deep snow. How time flies, I really miss the baby puppy stage, wish it lasted longer!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Might be this easy. Has been for me and my first night sounds very similar to yours. Cash is now 3 months old and he goes right to his crate by my bed, lays down, at around 11 pm and wakes up about 6:30. He's been doing this for about the last 3 weeks straight.

I was kind of waiting for him to regress at points but he hasn't. It may be a lucky first night but it's possible it works like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

You might have it easy, and he might cry more. You just never know. My first GSD cried for 3 nights and then was fine. My new puppy, that we have had for a month now, has never cried. We put him in his crate the first night, and he started to cry the minute we put him in there. He was never crate trained. I sat next to his crate, but made no eye contact or said anything. He settled down in less than 10 minutes and I went to bed. He slept through the night and has been fine since.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

Congrats! What did you name him? He might not be eating right away because he is in a new environment and has to get used to it. Both mine did that and I just offered their kibble as a treat and within a day or so, they were eating just fine. As for bathing, I used Johnson's baby shampoo on mine. It's a very gentle soap and since they are so squirmy when they are puppies, it won't hurt if it happens to get in their eyes. Good luck! Can't wait to see photos of your new lil guy!

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Master Member

I would do a low temp blow dryer after bath. I also towel dry 1st. The only reason I say this is because Nellie (who we have had since she was a pup) likes the dryers at the groomers just fine. But Ace FREAKS out. I mean really bad. the 1st time we gave him a bath was the day after we brought him home (he was 6months old) and he head butted my boyfriend and also knocked him out. He is a little better now but I think it would be good to get him use to that noise and feeling while she is still a pup. As far as a quick bath goes.... I have always heard that dishsoap is better to bathe in the human shampoo. But you really need something for puppys.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your replies. I'm blown away at how amazing he is! His name is Grissom. Yes, I know that's my screen name, but when I joined I had no idea what to put so I just put his name! I'm so in love with him already!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8968.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8956.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1041  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Master Member

Congrats on your puppy. He is sooo adorable!!!

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page