Innova LBP, Artemis FM LBP, Chicken Soup Puppy??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Innova LBP, Artemis FM LBP, Chicken Soup Puppy???

I've been feeding Innova for the past few months with good results IMO. But Deebo is eating more, and maybe I am giving him a bit too much. He is always trying to eat...like a HOOVER. Not fat though.

Anyways, I've been checking out other foods because they are $10 cheaper for the same size bag.

Artemis LBP and Chicken Lovers Puppy.
Artemis gets 5 stars, as does CLP, but Innova LBP gets 4 stars on dogfoodanalysis? Strikes me as odd.

These other two foods have more meat in them, but I feel there is a catch.

I read Artemis has Diamond make their food? Truth? How about CLS?

Right now I spend $52 on a #33 bag, and would like to go a little cheaper if I can get something about the same or better, but I don't want to go with a worse food.

Honestly...I give Deebo about 4-6 cups a day, and from what I've read this could be almost DOUBLE what he should be getting.

If I could stretch out the #33 bag I'd be totally fine until he gets to the age where I can switch to a better grainfree adult food.

Deebo, Black/Tan 10-21-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

6 cups is a ton of food for Innova. I would expect for like 4 cups a day.

And as for Artemis, it is also a good food, If you wanted to switch to that, I think it would be ok, (I don't remember is Diamond manuafactures for them). I would consider Chicken soup for the pet lover soul a step down though IMO, and I know for a fact that is it manufactured by Diamond.

So I would either stick with Innova, or switch to artemis.

According to the nutrient info, Artemis has more kcal per kg too, so you would get more food per lb. This is assuming that the food is as bioavailable as Innova

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Well Artemis is available to me for about $10 less per bag.

Fresh Mix is made by Diamond Pet in California. Is this the same as Diamond Co. that I am trying to avoid?

For the meantime I will finish off this new bag of Innova I have and start feeding him less...see how it works over the next 3 weeks.

My g/f is feeding her dog CLS and I was thinking about switching her to Artemis too, so we can share one big bag, instead of having two #30 bags lying around.

We'll see.

Not really interested in Blue Buffalo yet, in case anyone was going to recommend...no Canidae. I can get Merrick, but it's just as pricey as Innova, actually same price. Solid Gold is same, and then Wellness is about $55-60.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

You say the artemis is $10 cheaper, but it looks like the biggest size you can get is 30 pounds. With the Innova, you're getting 33 pounds. Might cost a little more, but youre getting more in terms of weight. Just something to consider.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Knighted Member

you could also just switch to the Innova adult. the reasoning for this is it is quite possible that you will feed a fair amount less of this than the Innova LBP or the Chicken soup, since it has about 100 calories more per cup, thus somewhat (or totally) negating the price difference.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

Is it really that much of a difference in calories? I should have checked that before my previous post. I just assumed the adult and lbp formula were close, but I guess not.

I've been feeding innova adult to Lucy since she was 4 months old and I've got nothing but good results from it. I highly recommend.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

ya know I was wondering why the LBP was not very calorie dense... figure maybe it was kibble size difference. hmm....

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I actually use a cup to drink out of to get the kibble from the bag. I thought this was a 1.5C so I was feeding about 5-6C/day, but it was actually a 2C cup, and I was feeding about 6-8C/day.

My dog never gained weight, so I am only giving him 1 big cup now, so about 4C/day and will see how he does.

I will see about switching to Adult...he is still 6 months, but I'm sure it'd be fine.

With another dog, I think they both get a really good amount of exercise...my dog ALWAYS wants to play haha. I love it though.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

holy cow!!!!! lol. 8 cups is a ton of food!!!! I would agree that a switch to adult would be helpful (remember that is it more calorie dense than LBP). And 4 cups would be a better amount. Also, have you tried making him slow down eating??? I notice when I feed Koda his food frozen (I feed raw), he seems to feel more content after eating since it took him 10 minutes to eat and not 2). Pehaps feeding him out of a food dispensing toy, or using a large cookie sheet to spread out the food so he can't gulp it all down.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Hey everyone Im new here but wanted to chime in on this discussion. I actually work with Chicken Soup and yes, it is produced by Diamond. But Diamond has a 151 checks process they put all of their products through so I am confident in the quality of Chicken Soup. Ive fed it to my pets before and they did well.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page