9 Month old how much should he eat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

9 Month old how much should he eat?

I have a 9 month old and he is a very finicky eater. Some days he won't eat at all and other days he will eat everything in sight. He is 26" to the shoulders and weighs 70 pounds. He looks thin and i can feel his spine when I pet him. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem or if it even is a problem. He's on Nutro Large breed puppy food and once he becomes 15 months I'm going to put him onto Royal Canin GSD formula.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocco beach 2.jpg
Views:	10425
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	964  

Last edited by hunnefeld1; 04-21-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Master Member

Yes my female was\is the same way. Honestly we started mixing a small amount of wet food in with her dry and she eats it. I know its not the best thing for their teeth but we needed her to eat. She is also on Nutro and her canned food Nutro Ultra. Also at the vet or online you can get NuPro. It's great for all things. It's a supplement that is liver based so it's really appealing to the dogs. Hope this helps. Good Luck. -Jamie

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How much are you feeding?

Also, when I have a dog that really isn't eating, I also mix yummy stuff with their kibble. I've found canned CAT food works the best. Truth is whatever makes cats finicky eaters.......the cat industry has figured how to get the to eat. And it works for my finicky dogs too! A little canned cat food plus water to make a gravy, makes the kibble go down!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Akbar is also 9 months and he is fed 2 1/2 cups twice a day, so 5 cups on Healthwise. I can see the last ribs on him and feel his spine but he is in perfect shape. He's a little over 26'' and weighs 80lbs, he's very muscular too.

If your dog is a finicky eater, I'd suggest taking his food away after a set time at every meal. No dog will starve itself for too long. And don't give any treats between meals. Cody use to do this so I did the tough love with his food and took it away after he didn't eat it, took 2 days for him to decide to eat. He hasn't done it since and he was 2? back then, now he's 7 years.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

When I can get him to eat he will eat 5 cups of dry food a day. I will try to just take it away after he won't eat and see if that works. It makes sense the dog won't starve himself, hopefully he figures it out quick enough.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Joy is nine months old.

I feed her 1.5 cups twice a day.

She sometimes eats it. She sometimes doesn't. It has 530 calories a cup, and she is 52 pounds. I cannot see her spine, but her ribs are right there when I rub my hands down.

No way am I going to mix anything into her food. I doubt she will starve herself to death. She MUST get it from her father. All the rest of my lot scarf their food like there is no tomorrow, and I have given up on dishes with them because it slows them down to have to chase it down.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

when my dog was a puppy he got 3 cups
a day. there was always somehting mixed
in the kibble, ground beef, chicken, can food,
certain table scraps, fruit, veggies, etc.

my dog is 3 years old as of June and he gets 2 cups a day
with things mixed in.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 PM

I feed my 7 month twice a day 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 at night
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM

I think I feed Deebo 6 cups a day....going to start cutting it back.

But he doesn't look fat, even though he gained weight and is growing. I'd hate to feed too much where it isn't beneficial. I did the math in my head and that is about 14cups extra I could save a week...I can make the bag last almost 2 weeks longer. One week longer for sure.

Deebo, Black/Tan 10-21-09
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

My 7 month old 78lb male eats 3 cups a day, 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. He is a long hair so I have to be very watchful as he looks heavy - when he isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page