19lbs at 9wks & 3days...adult food soon? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

19lbs at 9wks & 3days...adult food soon?

Our little man is from an excellent breeder, so we know there is nothing wrong with him, but he's growing like a weed!
His dad is 110lbs so we know Jax is going to get big but I'm worried he may be growing too fast. He's super skinny still, bones poking out in all directions but he is still pretty meaty
At this rate, he'll probably be 20lbs at 10 weeks so I was wondering when we should switch him to adult food?
He's on Kirkland Puppy now and free feeding when out of his crate because I don't know what to do so I'm letting him decide for now... he's packing on weight but still very bony. (I checked his pockets for change, I have no idea where he hides the weight!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

My breeder recommended us to give our puppy adult food. German Shepherds grow extremely fast and are prone to growing pains. She told us that the adult food keeps them from growing too fast and they don't get the pains. They still grow into big healthy dogs, just a little slower. She has been breeding champion shepherds for 25 years so I think her advice is good.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

What are you feeding him? You don't want him to grow fast, but if he's going to run more along the xtra large end of the breed, I'm not sure how fast they grow as young pups. They all grow crazy fast at this age.

You might want to stop the free feeding him though. Put his food dog, offer it three times a day, for about 15-20 min a time. This will also help w/ the potty training for his poop. If allowed to eat all day long, he will be wanting to poop all day long. Dogs love routine.

I've her different ideas on Puppy vs Adult. some never feed puppy, others feed puppy until they're close to 18 mos.

Are you going grainless because from what I understand the only grainless food to give a puppy is Orijin Large Breed.

Check out the feeding section, there is tons of info there. There are also lots of members w/ giant/extra large GSD's here, so I am sure that they can help you more than me. My GSD is 6 mos and 51ish lbs. She's a skinny girl...

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

Are you feeding Kirkland puppy or Large breed puppy. If it is regular puppy I would switch to either something formulated for a Large breed pup, or an all life stages food. Look for food with no corn, wheat or soy, or by-products. Sounds like you have yourself a cute little tank there.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think it's just regular Kirkland Puppy (Yellow bag?)
We have one more 20lb bag on hand so after that's finished (2-3 weeks) I think we'll switch him over to the adult stuff that our Lab mix is eating.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

how can your pup be super skinny and pretty meaty at the
same time?

at 9 weeks old my pup was 17.9 lbs. i've never fed puppy
food to any of my dogs. i fed my pup 3 cups a day. his
kibbles was always mixed with something, canned food,
raw ground beef, cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast,
fresh veggies, fruit, fish. in between feedings my puppy had snacks.
my dog is almost 3 yrs. old and i'm still feeding him the same things.
i always give my dog a variety of kibble and canned food (different
brands).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
He's super skinny still, bones poking out in all directions but he is still pretty meaty
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't take him off puppy food until at least 5 months. Puppies still need the nutrients that are in puppy food, and not in adult food. My breeder, my vet, and I went rounds on this subject. I decided to put my pup on the Royal Canin German Shepherd puppy 30. That way he is getting the nutrients he needs and the kibble size is designed to reduce the likelyhood of bloat.

Slayin Jäger vom Shea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food to my dogs. if you're referring to growing
pains meaning Pano two my dogs had Pano. one of my dogs
had Pano twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
My breeder recommended us to give our puppy adult food. German Shepherds grow extremely fast and are prone to growing pains. She told us that the adult food keeps them from growing too fast and they don't get the pains.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Knighted Member

this is just a rant, but i cant classify a breeder as excellent who is breeding 110 lb german shepherds. (of course, who knows. genetically he may bedesigned to be 90 lbs and is simply overweight). sorry, i dont see how this can be good for the breed.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

if your dog was in the wild what brand of puppy
food would he get???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROCKSHD View Post
I wouldn't take him off puppy food until at least 5 months. Puppies still need the nutrients that are in puppy food, and not in adult food. My breeder, my vet, and I went rounds on this subject. I decided to put my pup on the Royal Canin German Shepherd puppy 30. That way he is getting the nutrients he needs and the kibble size is designed to reduce the likelyhood of bloat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page