Acana VS Blue Buffalo LARGE BREED PUPPY - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Acana VS Blue Buffalo LARGE BREED PUPPY

Which one you people reckon is good for my 4 month old girl ?
ACANA OR BLUE BUFFALO and both cost the same too. $72 each
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Knighted Member

$72 for a 30 lb bag? that sounds very high (unless you are in Canada). none of the Acana formulas around here are more than $64 (and those are the more expensive Provincial grain free lines), and blue buffalo is cheaper than that.

i personally trust Champion (at this point) more than any other dog food manufacturer, so id lean toward Acana. i like the looks of their large breed puppy or maybe even the adult formula for a large breed pup.
blue buffalo makes some decent foods as well. i wouldnt feed the grain free formulas of either of those til the pup is around a year old.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 03-31-2010 at 09:24 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Acana without a doubt. I list Acana as the 4th best dog food (kibble) made today. Yes, their are other good foods out there but I can't get those in my area and these are awfully good foods. For you who are going to disagree with Heath Wise I list it high because you can trust naturapet. http://www.naturapet.com/default.asp

The A list
1. Orijen
2. Evo
3. Horizon Legacy
4. Acana
5. Innova
6. Taste of the Wild, wetlands & prairie only
7. Blue Wilderness
8. California Natural
9. Karma
10. Fromm/Merrick

Good quality for a low price
1. TOTW
2. California Natural
3. Health Wise
4. Kirkland, Costco

The B list
1. Health Wise
2. Wellness Core
3. GO ,free indurance,chicken,salmon only
4. Artemis
5. Evangers
6. Timberwolf
7. Wellness
8. Solid Gold
9. Canidae
10.Instinct

Last edited by 3ToesTonyismydog; 04-01-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Crowned Member

Finally, on something, I am an A-lister!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog View Post

The A list
1. Orijen
2. Evo
3. Horizon Legacy
4. Acana
5. Innova
6. Taste of the Wild, wetlands & prairie only
7. Blue Wilderness
8. California Natural
9. Karma
10. Fromm/Merrick

Good quality for a low price
1. TOTW
2. California Natural
3. Health Wise
4. Kirkland, Costco

The B list
1. Health Wise
2. Wellness Core
3. GO ,free indurance,chicken,salmon only
4. Artemis
5. Evangers
6. Timberwolf
7. Wellness
8. Solid Gold
9. Canidae
10.Instinct

careful. this is a 4 month old gsd. there are several foods listed there that, imo, arent suitable at all for a gsd pup. almost everyone (including the manufacturers) agree grain free foods like TOTW, Instinct, Acana Provincials, EVO, and Wellness Core are best left to adult large breeds. (Blue Wilderness probably fall into that category as well). personally, i would never have one of Diamonds own foods (TOTW) on my "A" list.

as far as "good quality for a good price", i think it is important that folks should really pay as much attention to how much of a food they have to feed as what the price of the bag is. ive seen people feeding awful large daily quantities of foods like Kirkland and TOTW (very low calorie foods), which diminishes their perceived value.

back to the OP, if you have a source that sells Acana, they may also sell Orijen (same company), a nicely suited food for a gsd pup.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 04-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Good point! There are so many options in feeding now that really are not large breed puppy appropriate. So the fact that the person is looking for a large breed puppy food is important and really narrows the choices.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

How exactly did you come up with that list? Ca Natural and Innova before Wellness Core?

I like Ca Natural and Innova, but in MY opinion they dont' belong ahead of Core.

And probably not the best idea to put that top 10 list in here anyway, considering the OP is asking about feeding a 4 month old puppy and a lot of those foods are not suitable for dogs under a year.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
How exactly did you come up with that list? Ca Natural and Innova before Wellness Core?

I like Ca Natural and Innova, but in MY opinion they dont' belong ahead of Core.

And probably not the best idea to put that top 10 list in here anyway, considering the OP is asking about feeding a 4 month old puppy and a lot of those foods are not suitable for dogs under a year.
Agree with everything mentioned here. Also, I wouldn't recommend TOTW as they don't guarantee their food is ethoxyquin free and IMO aren't a trustworthy company. I would put Wellness CORE higher up on the list but as stated above many of these foods (including CORE) are not good for puppies).

and in regard to the original question - I'd go with Acana or Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieGSD View Post
Agree with everything mentioned here. Also, I wouldn't recommend TOTW as they don't guarantee their food is ethoxyquin free and IMO aren't a trustworthy company. I would put Wellness CORE higher up on the list but as stated above many of these foods (including CORE) are not good for puppies).

and in regard to the original question - I'd go with Acana or Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula.
Yeah! I got distracted

I concur that Acana is the better food. One thing to keep in mind, is that there have been a few instances when Champions foods are hard to come by. So I would say use Acana, try to always have a back-up bag, and if you can't find it, have a back-up food you can substitute.

I'd think that Wellness 5 is probably going to be the closest, suitable for puppies food in the even this does happen.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post

Thats fine, it is just my opinion. I really like and I trust Naturapet who make their own products(Evo,Innove,C.N.,Karma & HealthWise). It scares me to know that most dog food companys subcontract out the making of their product. And most subcontract out to the same companys who make the worst foods out there. Do not get me wrong I feel Core is a very good product but the price isn't right and I don't feel confident about the company who makes their food.. I personally like C.N. because it has very few ingredients and I feel it has at least 30% meat, which very few companys can say. It has zero fillers and other crap that dogs don't need. Keep in mind I would feed any of these foods to my dog, to include the B list. Just to let you know I feed C.N. in the AM and Orijen at night and I do rotate in TOTW wetlands and Fromm's duck because my dog just loves those 2 foods. He loves duck.

Last edited by 3ToesTonyismydog; 04-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page