Puppy Food Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Food Problem

Need some advice. Cash has been home 4 days and I am out of the food his breeder was feeding him. She gave me a little bag and I was mixing it in with Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy because I wanted to change it over after doing a lot of research on here. She was feeding him Pro Plan Performance.

He ate fine when the food was mixed, but now that I am sprinkling in the old food (because its almost gone) he doesn't want to eat. He just sits at his bowl and whines. He keeps walking back over to it, but when he smells it he whines and walks away. He really hasn't eaten much of it at all today.

I would just go buy another small bag of the Pro Plan and keep mixing for longer, but the specific kind only comes in a 40 lb bag and costs $40. It's not specifically for a puppy either.

What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Elite Member

Have you tried just the BB?

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDSunshine View Post
Have you tried just the BB?
With plenty of exercise and controlling the food,he'll give in eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried just the Blue Buffalo, and he whines, walks away, comes back 10 minutes later, takes a bite, whines, walks away...and so on.

Is there dangers in just mixing the two foods until both bags are gone and then re-evaluating things? I threw away my receipt for the BB so I'm stuck with it. It is only a 15 lb bag.

Or should I just suck it up, chalk it up to a mistake, buy a different brand, and take the $35 hit. I can afford it, I just hate wasting money.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

My dogs aren't notoriously finicky, but sometimes I can tell that they don't enjoy the taste (or more probably, the smell) of certain foods. I don't force them to eat it, I will just pass the food along to someone who's dog might enjoy it more.

I don't think it would hurt to get another bag of the PP Performance and keep mixing with the BB, it's only a 15 lb. bag, which shouldn't take too long to finish. Good luck!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmoney11 View Post

Or should I just suck it up, chalk it up to a mistake, buy a different brand, and take the $35 hit. I can afford it, I just hate wasting money.
probably. i do think our dogs should enjoy what they are eating, if at all possible.

i have never fed this food, but there see to be an awful lot of members here who have had very good success with Wellness Super 5 Large Breed Puppy. it should be easy to find (i think Petco carries it). it seems to be one of the most often suggested foods for our pups.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
probably. i do think our dogs should enjoy what they are eating, if at all possible.

i have never fed this food, but there see to be an awful lot of members here who have had very good success with Wellness Super 5 Large Breed Puppy. it should be easy to find (i think Petco carries it). it seems to be one of the most often suggested foods for our pups.
This is what a bought actually. He loves the taste, but....new problem...he's got really runny poop from it. Probably because he's had 3 foods in the last week. His poor little stomach is probably like..."What the %&$*".

I guess I'll just wait for it to firm up. If it doesn't after a week we'll see....

Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmoney11 View Post
Is there dangers in just mixing the two foods until both bags are gone and then re-evaluating things? I threw away my receipt for the BB so I'm stuck with it. It is only a 15 lb bag.

No you're not. Most places will accept an open bag without a receipt. I've returned one before. Granted, you'll end up with store credit, but they will likely take it back.

If he really doesn't want it, try something else. You're obviously trying to upgrade his food. Som other choices that are similar in quality (or better) than BB that will probably be around the same choice are Innova and Wellness 5.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Master Member

BB Large Breed Puppt food

My new guy came from Germany three days ago. He is still picking at it. But I have bought two large bags. The vet said to give him time and to put a little canned food for smell and taste in to help. He is still adjusting to a new envionment. More exercise in the next few days should help.
We shall see.
Paul

Balko von der Kapphohe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Update.

I have just been continuing to feed the BB and he has given in and is eating much better. I'm not sure if he's just used to it now or eating because he's got no choice. I will monitor the situation and when the bag is close to gone decide if I want to switch over. Wellness 5 for large breed puppy seems to be highly recommended here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page