This is what you should be feeding !!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

This is what you should be feeding !!!!

I get so tired of seeing people here thinking that feeding liams, nutro, Royal Canin,Science Diet and other corn and wheat infested crap is good for their dog. I just don't get it!!! Here is a list of what you should be feeding and yes, I have missed some. Keep in mind that their are only 4 companies that produce thier own food,,, Champion makers of Orijen & Acana,,, Naturapet makers of Evo,Innova,California Natural,Karma & Health Wise,,, Horizon makers of Horizon Legacy & Horizon,,, Merrick/Fromm ,,,if you do not feed one of these you are taking a gamble of what is really in your dog food.

Blue Wilderness,Go,Horizon,Horizon Legacy****,Evo****,Innova**,Instrinct*,Orijen******,Taste of the Wild*,Wellness,Acana***,Fromm**,Merrick**,Canidae,Evanders,Earthborn,Natures Logic,Natures Variety,Solid Gold,Pinnacle,Timberwolf,Blue Buffalo,Halo,California Natural**,Karma**,Heathwise**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

I feed my boy Solid Gold and I convinced my friends to put their dogs on it and we all love it!!!

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

on your list there's 8 brands i feed my dog. i
always give my dog different brands of kibble and can.
i also feed my dog chicken, beef (ground), veggies and fruit.

are you sure there's only 4 companies that produce
their own food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog View Post
I get so tired of seeing people here thinking that feeding liams, nutro, Royal Canin,Science Diet and other corn and wheat infested crap is good for their dog. I just don't get it!!! Here is a list of what you should be feeding and yes, I have missed some. Keep in mind that their are only 4 companies that produce thier own food,,, Champion makers of Orijen & Acana,,, Naturapet makers of Evo,Innova,California Natural,Karma & Health Wise,,, Horizon makers of Horizon Legacy & Horizon,,, Merrick/Fromm ,,,if you do not feed one of these you are taking a gamble of what is really in your dog food.

Blue Wilderness,Go,Horizon,Horizon Legacy****,Evo****,Innova**,Instrinct*,Orijen******,Taste of the Wild*,Wellness,Acana***,Fromm**,Merrick**,Canidae,Evanders,Earthborn,Natures Logic,Natures Variety,Solid Gold,Pinnacle,Timberwolf,Blue Buffalo,Halo,California Natural**,Karma**,Heathwise**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Knighted Member

you seem to be recommending using companies that produce their own foods, but you list is full of companies that do not make their own food.

i am a bit leary of foods made by diamond. i think people should decide on their own what their comfort level with them is. there quite a few foods made by diamond, in addition to the Diamond branded foods.

TOTW (an actual diamond brand)
Natural Balance
Solid Gold
Canidae
Chicken Soup
Kirkland

there are probably some i am missing. Timberwolf uses Chenango Valley, which has had their share of issues.

i prefer to stick to companies that make their own food and dont make food for anyone else. i think that lends itself to better quality control (but is by no means a guarantee).

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 03-27-2010 at 09:59 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Crowned Member

I use Kirkland, it makes our dogs poop and pee less, which is good for us right now because we are trying to regrow our grass and our dogs love it.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 AM

Do you know what i get so tired of?..people telling me what to feed my dog!!!! No offense but people feed their dog what they can afford to feed their dog and what suits their dog, i doubt very much if anyone wants to feed a rubbish food. Its good that you are obviously passionate about educating people on what is a good food but the way you are putting it across is not so good. I feed the best food i can afford to feed my dogs, but if my life changed and i couldnt afford to feed a really good food i would feed a cheaper food and as long as my dog was ok on it and happy then i wouldnt feel bad about it.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkyboy View Post
Do you know what i get so tired of?..people telling me what to feed my dog!!!! No offense but people feed their dog what they can afford to feed their dog and what suits their dog, i doubt very much if anyone wants to feed a rubbish food. Its good that you are obviously passionate about educating people on what is a good food but the way you are putting it across is not so good. I feed the best food i can afford to feed my dogs, but if my life changed and i couldnt afford to feed a really good food i would feed a cheaper food and as long as my dog was ok on it and happy then i wouldnt feel bad about it.
Well said

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
definitely agree. if i added another dog(s) to my household or my budget needed to change, it is very likely i would revisit what i feed my dogs. while i have concern about certain companies, i would still have to find what i felt was the best quality food that i could afford. the only caveat i would add is that the cheapest foods are not always the cheapest to feed. (for example, ive seen people feeding super low calorie foods at 6 cups/day--even if the bag is cheap, there is value lost when feeding that much).

i think if a member asks opinions on a given food, then you are going to get strong opinions one way or another, but telling people what to feed when it was unsolicited comes accross as heavy handed.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 03-28-2010 at 08:15 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Its good that you are obviously passionate about educating people on what is a good food but the way you are putting it across is not so good.
qft.

I think if you really want to help people it would be better to work on the way you come across. When you come across demanding and arrogant it automatically puts people on the defensive and they aren't going to hear a thing you say.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Master Member

My 10 year old GSD does not get the Orijen like the pup does and has always gotten mainstream kibble with no health issues ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page