Personalized Puppy food question... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Personalized Puppy food question...

Hi all,
I have been doing as much research as I can before my puppy arrives at my home in May (along with puppy proofing etc...). This will be my first puppy, but when I lived with my parents we got a malinois puppy who is now 10yrs young.

I want to find out what the best option for puppy food is based on what is available in my area.

Options available locally; in order from readily available to harder to find:

Nutro Natural Choice (not a great food from what I hear)
Wellness line (concerned that it's a newer company)
Natural Balance
Earthborn (I don't know much about this line)
Taste of the Wild (concerned about ethoxyquin)
Blue Buffalo line (trying to stay away from Diamond)

Innova products (harder to find and am unsure of what specific lines are carried locally)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
That's always hard to answer!! I think it all depends on the dog!

From what I have learned, If you want to go Grain-Free without doing RAW, then Orijen is the best. Their site tells you where you can get it. Believe me, it's a pain. I have to go to the ONLY store around with it, and they have screwy hours ( I work Mon-Sat, and they are closed Sunday). TOTW is OK I guess, but not for a puppy.

Before you get your pup, go ahead and go to the few stores that you can find that carry the foods you want, and see what variety, so you know ahead of time. I did the same with my pup. I started two weeks before picking him up, and it wasn't hard since I had to get his crate and such...

I am unsure of a good Grain-including food, as I don't feed that, but people on here seem to like the Blue Buffalo... what area are you in? Can look for a more " specialty" or caring store that carried the better food, and go ask them what they rec. That's what I did!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for your reply!
I have already gone to all of the specialty stores around, and just called the one that actually does carry Evo(I know its not for puppies) and also innova large breed pup.

No where in my area carries Orijen, I live in kentucky, and every place that does have it, they are over an hour away. I looked up web-stores and I could get it at for about $70 shipped.

I guess a second question, that might make me feel better about giving the pup orijen, is how long will the 30lb bag last? I know its hard to say, because it depends on the dog, but I expect my puppy to be 80-90lbs fully grown, he is coming from a line that is close to the top of the standard in weight.

Also, how long would a 30lb bag of orijen food last when he is adult if he were 80-90. I tried calculating it based on 4 cups per day, but am unsure if that is correct. I came up with 60lbs a month for that size dog, is that right?? I dont think my budget will allow that, I wanted to stick to $100 or less per month in food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Well, let's see. Right now, for a growing pup, Cullen's rec. amount of food is 4 1/2 cups per day or so... but he gets 2 cups in the morning, 1/2 cup at lunch ( he doesn't eat a lot) and RAW for dinner. My Pit Bull is on Orijen also, and she only gets about 2 1/2 cups per day!!!! It changes as they age, growing pups need more. I am paying right at 60 bucks a bag of Orijen, and I It looks like it is about 2 months worth now before we will buy another bag, but again, he eats half of what he normally would eat, since he does RAW. So still would not cost over 100 a month in food!!!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM

When Damian was on Orijen, he got about 4 cups a day. One bag lasted about two weeks. I got it for 69.99 a bag. So Thats $140 a month for me plus tax.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM

I am feeding Loki Wellness Super5Mix and he is doing very well on it. (we had food issues with him) Orijen is out of my price range right now, but if I could feed it I would.

-Nicole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loki Von Hena-C, Sable GSD DOB 8/8/09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~*Maya Von Hena-C, Red Sable DOB 3/02, living with my ex*~

~*RIP Hunter Von Hena-C, Black Sable GSD, 10 yrs*~
~*RIP Harley, my 1st GSD, 7 yrs*~
My breeder -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Wow, not sure I could afford $140 a month! I only have $200 per month budgeted for my soon to be best friend. Don't worry, its not a strict budget, but I don't want to spend all of it on food!

I just went to my local health store today, and they have Innova Large breed puppy for $60 for a 30lb bag. They also have California Natural, but I didn't see a large breed puppy formula. I guess that might be a good option for when he gets to be an adult if Evo is too expensive.

My last option was to put him on wellness because of the mixed reviews I have read about. And since they are a newer company, I had concerns also.

Would it be stupid to start out on Orijen and see how the budget goes, and then potentially switch him to something else if money did start to become and issue? I don't want to be switching food all of the time, but I also want to give my future pup the best I can get for him.

Thank you all for your responses!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3ckpo1nt View Post
When Damian was on Orijen, he got about 4 cups a day. One bag lasted about two weeks. I got it for 69.99 a bag. So Thats $140 a month for me plus tax.

that doesnt sound right. 4 cups a day on a 30 lb bag should last much longer. when kimba was around 8 months, she ate 4cups/day of orijen LBP. this always lasted over a month.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
that doesnt sound right. 4 cups a day on a 30 lb bag should last much longer. when kimba was around 8 months, she ate 4cups/day of orijen LBP. this always lasted over a month.
That makes me feel better! Anyone else want to chime in?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

Same here though, it should last at least a month, because Cullen gets 2 1/2 or so cups a day ( more than half of the 4 cup) and he still is on the same bag of food for a month or so now... has about half left, so on 4 cups a day should last at least a month!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page