Alright new food suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Blitz1203
Alright new food suggestions

Looking for Grain Free pup food that would mix well with my Orijen LBP Food. We've tried several things and it has to be the food. We tried giving him less, fasting him, rice, pumpkin, flora.. lots of stuff. I didn't want to switch his food, but I don't want my dog to have loose stools forever. My local food supply recommended ToTW for All Stages, but I've heard mixed reviews on All Stage food. I couldn't find a lot of LB Pup food. One was Holistic and had grains, but I don't know what to get.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
With a puppy you're going to have a really hard time finding an acceptable grain free food with low enough calcium. Many of the grain free foods encourage too fast of growth when it comes to puppies, def not good for a large breed like the GSD.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lin. If I were feeding a pup kibble I would go with Wellness super5mix puppy, if the Orijen wasn't working out.
This blend has the proper ratio of calcium and phosphorus and the grains are rice and barley.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Horizon Legacy puppy is a dog food that I use in my rotation. A major factor in feeding their product is that they make their own food, in thier own plant. Companies like Wellness have a manufacture like Menu foods make their foods. I would feel very uncomfortable feeding a food made by a company who has had so many recalls.

Horizon Pet Nutrition
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Both seem great though I'm leaning towards the grain-free... Any other suggestions? If orijen is too rich.. are these significantly different from it?

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1203 View Post
Both seem great though I'm leaning towards the grain-free... Any other suggestions? If orijen is too rich.. are these significantly different from it?
as far as grain free, no. id have to know the maximum Ca level in the Horizon Legacy Puppy (and it is not listed on their site). the only one that i know for a fact has Ca levels close to where they should be is Orijen.

is there a reason you must have grain free at the moment?

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog View Post
Companies like Wellness have a manufacture like Menu foods make their foods. I would feel very uncomfortable feeding a food made by a company who has had so many recalls.

Horizon Pet Nutrition
Wellness does not use menu foods to produce their kibble: only their canned products.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Wellness does not produce any of their own dog food !!! They could be having American Nutrition (UGH) make it. It really doesn't matter, the fact is they don't make their own food, someone else does, then they put their name on the bag. Notice on their website how they say,that is the key.....
To learn more about the comprehensive Wellness Quality Assurance Program click here.

Last edited by 3ToesTonyismydog; 03-27-2010 at 08:48 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

You posted this topic and you listed Wellness as producing their own food.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-feeding.html

Slightly confused.

I know this topic has been derailed, but I need serious recommendations. My reason behind grain free is that my pup seems to have a sensitive stomach and I figured it'd be safer. If you think there are better options with grains please list them and explain why. My local store can get the Wellness which would be nice as it is cheaper for them to order things in than it is for me to get them online. I really need to get somewhere with this issue.. I've done research, but with opposing views and different opinions everywhere.. it is becoming a pain. I need help getting my pup healthy. He hasn't had good stools since he was 7.5 weeks old. He is now secreting from his anal glands and I think it is due to his loose stools also. This is pretty stressful and I really want to get something that will help him.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Master Member

when my boy did eat dry food I gave him Orijen LBP....it is a great food, but only if it works for you dog. Only thoughts I have is to add psyllium husks to each meal to boost fiber; not enough fiber can also cause loose stool. It worked well with our IBD female, the pumpkin did not. Also, you could consider mixing Orijen with another food of your choice that is not as rich....I have heard of that working for some people.......good luck

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page