butcher bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

butcher bones

so i have access to a butcher and was wondering what would be a good bone to buy with calcium in them for my 7 week old pup. Plus also healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Ask for fresh knuckle bones. And no smoked!
When your pup is not eating it, put it in the fridge. If it dries out it can splinter and cause digestion problems.
Marrow bones can cause runny poo as the marrow is rich, so I would try to get the knucklebones.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

We give our dogs marrow bones. Most super markets have them in their meat case. Once the dogs chew them to the point that they show signs of splintering we throw them out. Also, we usually supervise their chewing and we don't leave the bones out and about. After a chew session the bones go into the freezer until the next time.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

so would the cow feamer be good?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM

You ever price the precooked wrapped ones in the pet food isle? Man, they are expensive! Usually around $6.00 for something my dog will go through in 15 minutes. I am a deer hunter. This year I got one and cut up all 4 legs, baked them, wrapped and froze them. Got an equivalent of $200-250 worth of what I would have had to pay for the precooked beef ones. The best part is, my dog loves them! If you hunt or know anyone that does, they are a great option. Most people throw the legs and leg quarters away after they get the meat they want off of them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonGSD01 View Post
so would the cow feamer be good?
weight bearing bones can break teeth, I would stick with knuckle bones and small marrow bones

-Brandi

6-5-09

Last edited by sagelfn; 03-22-2010 at 01:43 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPrinceHero View Post
You ever price the precooked wrapped ones in the pet food isle? Man, they are expensive! Usually around $6.00 for something my dog will go through in 15 minutes. I am a deer hunter. This year I got one and cut up all 4 legs, baked them, wrapped and froze them. Got an equivalent of $200-250 worth of what I would have had to pay for the precooked beef ones. The best part is, my dog loves them! If you hunt or know anyone that does, they are a great option. Most people throw the legs and leg quarters away after they get the meat they want off of them.
baked bones can splinter off and are harder to digest than a raw bone

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
baked bones can splinter off and are harder to digest than a raw bone
I only bake them long enough to cook the meat to 160 degrees to kill bacteria. Only prolonged cooking causes bones to splinter and FYI, venison is less likely to splinter compared to most other bones.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

Freezing should take care of any bacteria also without the risk of bones splintering. I give the marrow bones but my dogs don't seem to be sensitive to the marrow. Jax is on a RAW diet so I'm don't worry about her getting calcium from chew bones.

How about pork necks? Not sure if that is ok with a puppy but hopefully a more experienced person will chime in.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

Venison bones are hard, as the deer usually is older than a yr. The older the animal the denser the bone. I would still opt to get a fresh knuckle bone. Any weight bearing bones can cause dental issues.
I feed pork neck bones, they tend to be safe,
but now and then my dogs will barf the undigested bone back up.
I also agree with NOT cooking and most dogs can handle the bacteria from a raw bone.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page