Bellas food problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Bellas food problem

So my new girl Bella we picked up last night, her previous owner had Dobermans and I guess they didn't want to share their food or something so she didn't want her, so a local trainer had her for a few days when I found out about her and went and picked her up. So now when she smells food she goes crazy whining jumping whatever to try to get it. So i added a baby gate so she cant get into the dining room and kitchen lol. She is not food aggressive though so that's good. I'm not sure if just her getting use to having her own food will help this or not. the other thing is she will eat everything you put in front of her doesn't seem to matter how much. She scarfs it down. She ate 3 cups last night around 9 (when i got home with her) and then this morn at 7am she ate 2 1/2 cups in like 2 minutes. I was going to feed her 2x a day but maybe I should do 3 smaller meals? And how much should I feed her she is 3 months 25 lbs. Any help is appreciated Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
So my new girl Bella we picked up last night, her previous owner had Dobermans and I guess they didn't want to share their food or something so she didn't want her, so a local trainer had her for a few days when I found out about her and went and picked her up. So now when she smells food she goes crazy whining jumping whatever to try to get it. So i added a baby gate so she cant get into the dining room and kitchen lol. She is not food aggressive though so that's good. I'm not sure if just her getting use to having her own food will help this or not. the other thing is she will eat everything you put in front of her doesn't seem to matter how much. She scarfs it down. She ate 3 cups last night around 9 (when i got home with her) and then this morn at 7am she ate 2 1/2 cups in like 2 minutes. I was going to feed her 2x a day but maybe I should do 3 smaller meals? And how much should I feed her she is 3 months 25 lbs. Any help is appreciated Thanks.

i think 3x a day divided up evenly might be a good idea for another month or two, then go to 2x a day from then on. 3 cups at one sitting is alot of food. on a higher calorie food, she may only need 3-4 cups for the whole day. also, you want to slow down the eating. some people use these:

Welcome to brake-fast.net!

i have luck putting a couple rubber balls in my dogs bowl, which slows her down pretty well.

many of our dogs would eat themselves to obesity if we fed them whenever they acted hungry. i think 4 cups/day of a good quality food (not kibble from the grocery store) would be a good starting point. then you could adjust up or down from there. a gsd pup should be pretty lean, ribs easily felt, as long as you cant see all her ribs.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

i fed my pup 3x's a day. a cup in the am., afternoon and pm.
he always a snack through out the day. i didn't feed kibble
exclusively. my pup had chicken, ground beef, veggies and fruit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
I can't remember how much Frag weighed at 3 months, but I know I was feeding him 6 cups a day then.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I can't remember how much Frag weighed at 3 months, but I know I was feeding him 6 cups a day then.

I think she would eat that much and I feed mine 4health its a food put out by diamond for tractor supply No grains/corn blah blah. Was feeding him Nutro but his poo would never get solid this he does fine with and Bella they fed pedigree so prob will switch her over slowly.

And thanks for the ideas I might try a few balls in her bowl.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Knighted Member

i could see having to feed more with 4 Health, as it is a pretty low calorie food. that was the same problem i had with TOTW. once i switched to a higher calorie, more meat dense food, the feeding amounts were reduced dramatically.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Elite Member

Another idea for your puppy is to feed her out of a toy, so she only gets a little at a time and has to work for it. Something like this:

Or this:

plus this will help work her brain.

Something else you can try, if you have the time and don't want to always use the toys, is to take her kibble and place it in a clean area of your yard, somewhere without pesticides. Place the kibble scattered in a 4' by 4' square and have her search with her nose to find the kibble in the grass. This also will work her brain. A two-fer!!! lol

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
i could see having to feed more with 4 Health, as it is a pretty low calorie food. that was the same problem i had with TOTW. once i switched to a higher calorie, more meat dense food, the feeding amounts were reduced dramatically.
She was/is on pedigree my dogs on 4health (i just got bella yesterday) and have not switched her yet. But her previous owner had her competing with dobermans for food, so I think that has a hand in the problem also.

O and I fed her 3x today and the 3rd time SHE LEFT FOOD IN THE BOWL lol, making progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page