How much does a cup of kibble weigh? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How much does a cup of kibble weigh?

On average, anyway. I guess it could vary slightly depending on the kibble, but right now we're weighing our options towards switching Frag off of RAW and onto a kibble diet, for monetary purposes, but we're not sure if it'd actually be cheaper to feed kibble or not. Right now we're spending about $21-$25 a week for meat, and if we switched to kibble we'd be feeding him 6 cups a day, but I don't know how much that would weigh and i'd like to be able to do the math to see if it'd be cheaper.

So, if anyone happens to know.. please share your insight with me.

btw, is TOTW's praire formula with 23% protein okay for a 7mo GSD puppy or not? I've read a lot of conflicting arguments about large breed puppies and protein, and would like to know for sure, since I don't feel comfortable switching back to kibble anyway for growth issues. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
On average, anyway. I guess it could vary slightly depending on the kibble, but right now we're weighing our options towards switching Frag off of RAW and onto a kibble diet, for monetary purposes, but we're not sure if it'd actually be cheaper to feed kibble or not. Right now we're spending about $21-$25 a week for meat, and if we switched to kibble we'd be feeding him 6 cups a day, but I don't know how much that would weigh and i'd like to be able to do the math to see if it'd be cheaper.

So, if anyone happens to know.. please share your insight with me.

btw, is TOTW's praire formula with 23% protein okay for a 7mo GSD puppy or not? I've read a lot of conflicting arguments about large breed puppies and protein, and would like to know for sure, since I don't feel comfortable switching back to kibble anyway for growth issues. Thank you.
We just switched to Orijen dog ($60 a bag) for our 6 month old pup and it appears that's going to cost me about $90-$120 a month. We were never so informed or conflicted or misinformed or confused (friggin internet) with our prior dogs and never had any health issues that were food or growth related.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:

btw, is TOTW's praire formula with 23% protein okay for a 7mo GSD puppy or not? Thank you.

imo, no, but not because of the protein. the Ca is 2% which is high for a large breed pup.

the Orijen Puppy Large is fine in that regard and 40% protein is not an issue. a RAW fed pup is getting more than 40% protein anyway when it is converted to a dry matter basis.

a bag of Orijen Puppy Large ($64) lasted my dog over a month, and she was very active. if you are spending $100+/month on raw, then kibble will definitely be cheaper.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Alright. We've pretty much decided now that it'd be cheaper, so we're gonna switch for a few months until we get money saved up for a house, then we're probably gonna switch back, but we'll check out other foods.

The store we found TOTW at didn't have the large breed puppy formula, unfortunately, but maybe I'll see if they can order it for us.. "/

Any other recommendations on a good food?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

The store that has TOTW, what else do they have? Might make it easier to narrow down a few choices for you.

And TOTW doesn't have any puppy formulas

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Haha, sorry, I totally thought Roxy was talking about TOTW, not Orijen.

About the only good food the store DOESN'T have is Orijen.

They have Wellness (core), Innova, EVO, Natural Balance, California Natural, Merrick, Canidae, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Diamond, and then the lesser brands that are common.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
and if we switched to kibble we'd be feeding him 6 cups a day.
Will he eat that much food? 6 cups seems like a lot of food in one day.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-jr. View Post
Will he eat that much food? 6 cups seems like a lot of food in one day.
Actually, I think I just read the table wrong on the bag.. I haven't dealt with kibble in a while, and I thought that the weight on the feeding table was for projected weight, which I don't *think* it was now, thinking about it. When he was a puppy he was eating 6 cups a day, so I just assumed it was accurate because they were the same, even though I'm sure that would change..

Even so, feeding six cups is still cheaper, so if I had to feed less, then even better.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Haha, sorry, I totally thought Roxy was talking about TOTW, not Orijen.

About the only good food the store DOESN'T have is Orijen.

They have Wellness (core), Innova, EVO, Natural Balance, California Natural, Merrick, Canidae, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Diamond, and then the lesser brands that are common.

of those, id look at Innova (adult or large breed puppy) or maybe BB or Solid Gold Wolf Cub. the Core and EVO have the same problem as TOTW, so they're not really well suited for large breed pups (especially the EVO). cal natural and natural balance, imo, are better choices if you need a more limited ingredient diet for allergies or other health issues.

i just realized in your original post, you said if you went to kibble, you'd be feeding 6 cups/day. that sounds like an incredibly large amount of food. most people ive seen feeding Orijen Puppy Large, for example, are closer to 3-4 cups per day. at 6 cups a day, most good kibbles may well approach $100+ per month to feed.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 03-20-2010 at 10:03 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 PM

My pup is 6 months old and he is eating about 3 cups a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page