How much Orijen? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

How much Orijen?

Hey guys - I'm looking for some advice for my 12 week old GS pup. I got him 3-4 weeks ago and he was on Purina Puppy Chow from his pervious owner. After buying a bag of Puppy Chow and doing research on better foods, I switched to Origen since it seems to be top of the line/and he needed another bag of food! I was originally feeding Reggie 3 cups of Puppy Chow per day. Since I figured Orijen has more nutrients and such in it, how much should I feed him now (ounces per meal/x per day)? I tried to search on this site, but couldn't really find anything relating to how much to feed per day. If it helps, he ways 25.6 # as of yesterday. Thanks to all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There is a feeding guide on the bag, and on the Orijen website: Puppy Large Feeding

For a 1-3 month old puppy who will be between 60 and 90 pounds as an adult they suggest 2 to 2-1/4 cups per day, so just divide by the number of meals he eats each day. I usually start with the quantity recommended, and then adjust if necessary. You want slow steady growth, and it's better if he's a bit lean than chunky. I like to be able to easily feel their ribs.

Another way to figure the amount when switching foods is to multiply the number of kcals per cup (usually available on the bag and/or website) by the number of cups you're feeding. If your pup is currently at a healthy weight for his size you want to keep feeding him approximately the same number of calories, so you'd divide the total kcals by the number of kcals per cup of the new food.

For example, if the Puppy Chow were 350 kcals per cup (just a guess, I have no idea how many there actually are), he's getting 1050 per day. The Orijen has 450 kcals per cup, so you'd do the following simple calculation: 1050 divided by 480 = 2.33, or about 2-1/3 cups per day. If you were switching to a lower calorie food it would look like this: 450 kcals x 2.33 cups = 1048.5 per day, divided by 350 = 3 cups. The only time I actually pay attention to how many calories my dogs eat per day is when I'm switching foods, looking at and feeling their body condition (I run my hand down their sides often to make sure I can feel the ribs) is a much better way to know if you're feeding an appropriate amount.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page