Store vs. Homemade:What is better for them? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Store vs. Homemade:What is better for them?

I recently adopted two new GS girls (my first GS) and want them to be as healthy as possible. They are between 2 and 3 months old. What are your opinions on what types of dog food I should give them.
Meaning Storefood//Homemade
& if storefood, what brand is best?
If homemade, what recipes. (I have looked at the ones on this site, but am just wanting to see all options)
Any other feeding tips are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

Until you really research a raw or home-cooked diet, I would go with Wellness super5puppymix. Most better pet stores carry it and it has the proper calcium/phosphorus ratios for growing pups.
Some foods are too rich for pups, and anything that contains corn, stay far away from.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM

My 6 month old pup has been on EVO dry dog food from the day he started eating dry food. The breeder had him on it so I kept him on this food and have had no problems. Like onyx'girl said stay away from the dog food that has corn. Some dogs have problems with wheat also. You have to make the choice on if you want raw or store bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-jr. View Post
My 6 month old pup has been on EVO dry dog food from the day he started eating dry food. The breeder had him on it so I kept him on this food and have had no problems. Like onyx'girl said stay away from the dog food that has corn. Some dogs have problems with wheat also. You have to make the choice on if you want raw or store bought.
EVO is very high in Calcium and therefore even Natura will tell you not designed for large breed pups. in fact, EVO has all the attributes that would cause the most rapid growth possible in a large breed pup, so im very surprised a breeder would have pups on EVO, since slow growth is the key with a gsd pup. this food has one of the highest calcium %'s of any food out there. Orijen (afaik) is the only grainless food that has a maximum Ca level that is suitable for large breed pups.

your breeder would be wise to learn something about this since EVO is pretty much the opposite of what a large breed puppy needs (it is very high in fat, calories, and Ca). maybe suggest to him/her they call Natura so they could steer them in the right direction.

this is from the Natura site:

What are the specific concerns with large breed dogs?

Natura has defined a large breed dog to be any dog with a mature size of approximately 60 lbs or more. The growth and development phase of a large breed dog (as well as any size dog) is the most critical and important phase of their life. Large breed puppies typically have a genetic tendency to grow too quickly and this can sometimes result in incomplete skeletal development and lifelong joint issues. Thus, it is crucial to control the growth rate of these larger puppies with the appropriate amount of calories and tightly regulated levels of calcium and phosphorus (the main constituents of bone).

As with any size of dog, it is important to keep large breed dogs lean and at an ideal body condition. Excess weight puts unnecessary stress on the joints of the animal and can cause a multitude of joint issues as the animal ages. The use of foods with lower levels of energy and minerals can be helpful in managing these larger breed dogs’ growth; therefore, large breed puppy foods are typically recommended or suggested as the best option.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 03-03-2010 at 04:42 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 AM
Knighted Member

Andy, i wasnt meaning to jump on you for feeding EVO to your pup so much as getting on your breeder for pointing buyers in that direction. it is reasonable that a new owner would want to feed what the breeder was feeding. normally, a person expects the breeder to have at least a basic knowledge of nutrition, but unfortunately (as is the case with many vets) some dont.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I have to jump in here. I am NOT very experienced in all this like our other members but had to say this. My Bella 1 yr old west german showline has had digestion issues ALL her life of 1 yr! tried everything from upmarket brands to puppy chow ( which i hate) raw and semi cooked. We have now come to this stage where she gets Eukanuba(v. little) with cooked ground beef and a bit of yougurt in the morn. and night the same thing unless she has had raw chicken legd etc for a snack. If she has had a heavy play date with another fiesty GSD who is fed raw bye the way, she gets some little dry Eukanuba with grnd beef. My point is much to the dismay of my vet who endorses puppy chow, she is good thriving, no diarreah, etc etc. just my inexperienced 2 bit. i have spent lot of hrs agonising about her stools till I started cooking for her and giving her raw.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I'm hoping they will soon be over thier stomache issues. I called the vet this morning and he told me to give them 1 tbsp of pepto each 3 times a day. Hopefully that will help out. If not I guess I will keep trying things until it works out for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page