Pup Diarrhea.. fun - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Blitz1203
Pup Diarrhea.. fun

Alright, I switched my pup over to Orijen Puppy food (I've got Orijen for LB Pups in the mail) over eight days by slowly mixing it with his old Purina Puppy Chow. Towards the end of the eight days he got really bad Diarrhea. Since it had been a week.. I kind of figured hey it can't be the food.. he would've reacted to it sooner. I took him to the vet and he gave us something for diarrhea. His stool got more solid.. he started eating normally again and I thought nothing more of it. It has been a couple of weeks now and he ran out of his meds after about 3 days. His stools were never firm, but they had form and for the most part were how I imagined they should be. Now they're going down hill again. They turned into mudpies and now squirts. Edible wise.. the only other stuff he is on is Cannae doggy treats which he has had for a couple of weeks and some sun dried rawhide circle things. Now.. due to the fact I really want it to be something besides the food.. I've been saying its the rawhides.. I read that they can disrupt his stomach and I remember that the original bout happened about the time he got his first one. His soft stools got worse after he spent a whole night chewing one so I took them away this morning and I'm hoping he gets better. Sadly, I can't imagine chewing on rawhide to make him this bad. I don't want to see it get as bad as it was nor do I want to switch his food. I've got some all natural droplets called Dia-relief for him which I just now started giving to him. I'm hoping this problem goes away or at least I can find away to prevent it... Should I maybe get him some fiber? or something else like pumpkin?

I'm stumped and my fellow house mates are trying to give him his old food which would probably make this whole process worse -_-

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck finding pure pumpkin, there is a shortage, but that would be the best to give him to firm him up.
Stop the rawhides, they can cause blockages, and if they aren't cured safely, they can contain chemicals(some come from China)
Get a fresh knucklebone from the butcher for your pup to chew on instead. Has your pup been recently vaccinated?
You aren't overfeeding the Orijen are you? It is a bit richer than most kibbles so feed lesser amounts even if you have to feed more meals a day til your pup gets older. You can also give a probiotic/digestive enzyme, but if your pup is only 10 weeks, I wouldn't suggest it. If he is still having this problem by Monday, get him to the vet for a fecal(giardia, coccidia)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Good luck finding pure pumpkin, there is a shortage, but that would be the best to give him to firm him up.
Stop the rawhides, they can cause blockages, and if they aren't cured safely, they can contain chemicals(some come from China)
Get a fresh knucklebone from the butcher for your pup to chew on instead. Has your pup been recently vaccinated?
You aren't overfeeding the Orijen are you? It is a bit richer than most kibbles so feed lesser amounts even if you have to feed more meals a day til your pup gets older. You can also give a probiotic/digestive enzyme, but if your pup is only 10 weeks, I wouldn't sugges it.
He got his 2nd Distemper a few weeks ago with a heartworm thing even though they said he didn't have any. About a week after he started having the diarrhea and then he got somewhat better and here we are again.

I thought about overfeeding, I've read the bag and was doing a rough estimate, but I took a half cup scoop out of the kitchen today and will be doing as close as possible to the recommendations from now on. It says he should have between 2.5-3 cups.. I usually just stick it all in at once and put it down 3x a day until he loses interest in it. I was also considering giving him just a little at a time so he didn't eat too much in the morning and then get hungry at night which could lead to him eating too much I guess. Haven't really tried to get pumpkin, but if I could would I just sprinkle it on his food? how much and so on? Should I start giving him individual servings per meal instead of filling his bowl up with his entire meal for the day?

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

After many bouts of diahhrea for many reasons, and spending WAY too much money at the vets to clear it up, I now know how to deal with it and prevent the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (as long as nothing else is going on). This isn't so much for the pudding thick stools, it's for the real watery squirty stools).

1) STOP FEEDING - 100% no food at all none absolutely at all no food (is that clear? no food? ) for 24 hours after the first watery stool. Water as much as they want, MAYBE some clear canned chicken broth with NO fat if you can't hang tough with the zero food.

2) Only AFTER the 24 hours do you start up with boiled chicken (no skin or fat and you can skim and save the broth) and WHITE rice. You want only teeny meals of this for your dog. The point is to let our pups system rest and normalize. Anything with too much fiber (no pumpkin, sorry, not for this regime it's got FIBER) causes to much acid and digestion and we don't want that yet.

Can also use peptobismal or other anti diarrhea to help during this time.

Here's some sites that also recommend the same, so it's not just me and one of my breeders and my vet :

Dog Diarrhea - Treatment and Prevention of Diarrhea

Diarrhea in Dogs and Puppies

Diarrhea in Puppies

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-26-2010 at 09:52 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, individual servings~ 3 meals a day for a 10 week old pup. This will help in housetraining,he'll get into a scheduled bowel movement.
Free feeding is controversial, and I truely don't think it is healthy for a baby to eat whenever they want. That and you really cannot gauge how much they are eating, so better to space apart the mealtimes, if he acts hungry after he has eaten, he can wait for the next meal as long as he is not skin and bones. Better for training, too! We want our pups to be food motivated when we train. I used part of the meal for my pup to work on basic training(focus) at that age. If you free feed or feed one meal a day when they get older, the chance of bloat is increased as well.
If you feed the pumpkin, a heaping tablespoon per meal is fine, but it isn't a cure-all.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Follow Maggie's Advice...

From all my experience in store, dogs that have loose stool on orijen, do really well on acana with solid stools.

If you can't find pumpkin, you might be able to locate this mixer, we don't seem to have a problem getting it.

Luke's All Natural Pet Food

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
After many bouts of diahhrea for many reasons, and spending WAY too much money at the vets to clear it up, I now know how to deal with it and prevent the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (as long as nothing else is going on). This isn't so much for the pudding thick stools, it's for the real watery squirty stools).

1) STOP FEEDING - 100% no food at all none absolutely at all no food (is that clear? no food? ) for 24 hours after the first watery stool. Water as much as they want, MAYBE some clear canned chicken broth with NO fat if you can't hang tough with the zero food.

2) Only AFTER the 24 hours do you start up with boiled chicken (no skin or fat and you can skim and save the broth) and WHITE rice. You want only teeny meals of this for your dog. The point is to let our pups system rest and normalize. Anything with too much fiber (no pumpkin, sorry, not for this regime it's got FIBER) causes to much acid and digestion and we don't want that yet.

Can also use peptobismal or other anti diarrhea to help during this time.

Here's some sites that also recommend the same, so it's not just me and one of my breeders and my vet :

Dog Diarrhea - Treatment and Prevention of Diarrhea

Diarrhea in Dogs and Puppies

Diarrhea in Puppies
I've seen this and if it gets worse I'll probably be giving it a try. His stools seem to be better today though he does seem to dance when pooping.. squats.. cries a little jumps backs up.. squats again... I think it is coming out kind of warm for him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Yes, individual servings~ 3 meals a day for a 10 week old pup. This will help in housetraining,he'll get into a scheduled bowel movement.
Free feeding is controversial, and I truely don't think it is healthy for a baby to eat whenever they want. That and you really cannot gauge how much they are eating, so better to space apart the mealtimes, if he acts hungry after he has eaten, he can wait for the next meal as long as he is not skin and bones. Better for training, too! We want our pups to be food motivated when we train. I used part of the meal for my pup to work on basic training(focus) at that age. If you free feed or feed one meal a day when they get older, the chance of bloat is increased as well.
If you feed the pumpkin, a heaping tablespoon per meal is fine, but it isn't a cure-all.
For now.. I've began limiting his food. I'm giving him a cup per meal and plan to stick to 3 meals a day. He ate all of his breakfast which kind of surprised me..but then again it makes sense because he didn't eat a lot yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukes View Post
Follow Maggie's Advice...

From all my experience in store, dogs that have loose stool on orijen, do really well on acana with solid stools.

If you can't find pumpkin, you might be able to locate this mixer, we don't seem to have a problem getting it.
If it keeps up and I can't find pumpkin, I'll be sure to do so.

Thank you all for your input, I'm going to try the individual serving thing first and if it gets worse I'll try Maggie's .. if it gets a little better, but not perfect.. I'll probably be looking for some pumpkin O_O

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd

Last edited by Blitz1203; 02-27-2010 at 09:46 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
.. squats.. cries a little jumps backs up.. squats again... I think it is coming out kind of warm for him..
That's not normal.

Good luck with waiting until you start fasting him. Both times I waited, my dogs went into full blown colitis with all the vet bills that entailed. I know I'd rather spend that $300 on something else. And have my puppy get well faster

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
That's not normal.

Good luck with waiting until you start fasting him. Both times I waited, my dogs went into full blown colitis with all the vet bills that entailed. I know I'd rather spend that $300 on something else. And have my puppy get well faster

"After many bouts of diahhrea for many reasons, and spending WAY too much money at the vets to clear it up, I now know how to deal with it and prevent the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (as long as nothing else is going on). This isn't so much for the pudding thick stools, it's for the real watery squirty stools)."

His stools aren't squirts yet which is why I'm waiting. You said above that it isn't for pudding thick stools. At the time thats what he had. A few weeks ago he had the squirts, but the medicine the vet gave him seemed to do the trick. (Cost me $70). He now has semi-solid stools.. they seem much better than yesterday. Unlike the last time he had diarrhea he has plenty of energy and is still eating food and drinking water. As for the squatting thing... I know its not normal, but steamy stools aren't uncommon either. I'm keeping an eye on him and understand where you're coming from.. just trying one thing at a time. The food thing makes sense and I'm hoping it resolves it. I don't want to have to make him fast once a week and eat chicken and rice. It doesn't seem like a permanent fix if such a thing exists.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Unlike the last time he had diarrhea he has plenty of energy and is still eating food and drinking water. As for the squatting thing... I know its not normal, but steamy stools aren't uncommon either.
When it's cold out, and my dogs toasty warm poo hits that air, it also steams, so that is normal (for my dogs).

My dogs ALWAYS act normal when they get diahhrea, which is why it took my thick skull 2 different times to wrap my brain around the 'DO NOT FEED' for 24 hours thing when they were acting so normal, bouncing around the house and dying of starvation as usual.

You are a better judge than I am, cause you are there. If you can see he's getting better than keep up with what you are doing. It just makes sense with my dogs when I can see something is messed up somewhere in their digestive system, giving it a complete break for 24 hours to rest and normalize, helps their 'normal' get back.

Good luck, aren't these dogs worrisome sometimes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page