Blue Wilderness... puppy worthy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Blue Wilderness... puppy worthy?

So, after spending 60 dollars on the Orijen for both dogs ( 60 per bag.. one of LBP and one of Senior ) I was at Petsmart, and started reading the Wilderness bag ( I think that's what it's called). The calcium in this grain free is 1.3 min and they have the variety of fish, chicken, and duck... and I grabbed a small sample from the lady and Cullen really liked it!!!!

The thing is, now I am stuck. Is it OK for them? It isn't specified or warned against on the bag, as it is all life stages, but the numbers looked good, and it would save me 15 a bag ( as well as I could buy from 3 blocks away, and only one bag for sharing of the two dogs) . But I also don't want to switch too many times. Is is decent enough, it seems so?

Just asking, because Gizmo was not my financial responsibility and then right as I got Cullen I realized she needed Grain Free, had heartworm, etc and is costing me a FORTUNE also, so I am trying to save in any way I can!!!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Knighted Member

ive been wondering this too. i emailed BB and got no reply as to what the max Ca levels are. you could call them and they should be able to tell you. id want the max to be no higher than it is in the Orijen LBP (which is 1.6, i think). anyway, i dont think one bag is going to do any harm. if cullen doesnt need grain free, then maybe he could eat Blue Buffalo large breed puppy and Gizmo the Wilderness. (at least you could buy both at the same place). as long as gizmo doesnt have some serious kidney or liver issues, the Wilderness should be fine for her.

it irks me that some manufacturers label their foods all life stages when they really arent. but, they are complying with what AAFCO requires to allow a food to be labeled all life stages. then again, all the grocery store foods comply with AAFCO standards of nutrition, so i dont put much stock in that.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 02-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Why in the world would you leave Orijen?? Orijen red is the best dog food produced today as far as kibbles goes. Wilderness is a good food but I am not sold on Blue Buffalo, only the wilderness side. If Orijen is to spendy for you then feed half and half. You could feed half of one in the am then the other half in the pm. It is best to feed twice a day anyway, less chance of bloat. This is what I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
I don't have plans at the moment to switch from Orijen. I would consider it if I could find something that I don't have to go out of the way for, was good quality, and was less expensive.

Cullen doesn't have any KNOWN allergies, but everything I read and have been told suggests that grain free is the best thing ( aside from raw) which is why they get raw dinner, but grain free breakfast and a small lunch!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

I personally had some issues with poop with BB Wilderness, but I still think its a good food. I fed it straight, without raw..so, who knows, it literally is trial and error with foods. I dont know about the calcium levels for the pup though......

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I will try to give them a call and find out. I still have 30 pounds of Orijen for each dog though, so in no hurry... just figured I would check!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

I would rather go with Wellness if I fed kibble. The super5mix large breed puppy supposedly has the proper ratio of calcium/phosphorus. Not sure if the price is comparable to Orijen, but it is easier to get.
Barley and rice are in the recipe, so not a grain free, but most pups don't have issues with these.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachFamily View Post
I don't have plans at the moment to switch from Orijen. I would consider it if I could find something that I don't have to go out of the way for, was good quality, and was less expensive.

Cullen doesn't have any KNOWN allergies, but everything I read and have been told suggests that grain free is the best thing ( aside from raw) which is why they get raw dinner, but grain free breakfast and a small lunch!
I agree but I've always thought that potatoes aren't that great either. Now I have no prblem with brown rice and I think it is better than potatoes. The problem is they all want to add bunch of different grains and that is why I like California Natural and I believe it one of the better dog foods on the market today. I also like anything Natura makes The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World – Natural & Organic Pet Food – Natura Pet Products. I am not a big fan of diamond foods but I do feed Taste of the Wild wetlands because my dog just loves it. He also loves Fromm (not grain free but I like Fromm) DUCK. Mine is old enough
where I'll feed him the all stage foods, but Orijen LB is his main food.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 PM

i talked to the Blue Buffalo people and they said wilderness is not good for puppies, calcium is too high and its good for hard working dogs
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks ALI, I will keep with Orijen until I either he's older, or until he goes RAW completely!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page