Do GSD have delicate tummys?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Question Do GSD have delicate tummys??

Can someone plz tell me is it just his breed or him personally? My pup is 12wks 5days old. Very healthy had vet check up last week. My prob is he gets the squirts if anything new is added to his diet, i cant give him Pedigree marrow bones small treats as they defo dont agree with him. Last night he was at his first puppy class brought my own treats but the trainer asked me to use hers, small selections of processed ham & cornbeef although he enjoyed them today he has the squirts again He is being fed 3 times a day and only his last feed at 7pm will be polished off. I have to mix 2tablespoons of canned food to his kibble to get hm to eat it. Should i remove the earlier foods after 20min or allow him to graze????? He is my first GSD & i want to do things right for him. How often should i give him rawhide chew treats also?
Thanks for your
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think many GSD's do have sensitive stomachs. I also think many are picky eaters (though not all ) and just not too interested in the food unless it's extra special (like when you add a bit of canned). If that's what it takes to get him to eat, that would be fine with me.

I do NOT however leave food down for more than about 5 minutes. If my dogs are hungry, they eat it right away. If not, they are really not hungry so I just pick it up until the next meal time.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

You may be overfeeding...I agree with MRL don't let them freefeed, it can cause problems with housetraining and you should know how much your pup is eating per meal(3x's a day for a young pup). Maybe feed later at night, so he'll have a longer stretch in between meals. I fed at 7 am 2-3pm and about 9 pm til Karlo was about 16 weeks, then went to 2x's a day.
I would not give rawhide at all, it can cause blockages. If you want a chew, get a fresh knuckle bone from the butcher. Marrow bones can cause runny poo as marrow is rich, and smoked bones can splinter, so no to smoked, too.
The knucklebone is softer, and easier to manage.
What are you feeding your pup?
Natural balance log rolls are healthy and can be cut into small portions for treats while training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-25-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I am feeding him REDMILLS MOTHER & PUPPY FEED it was what my vet recommended for him. The knuckle bone i'm a bit worried as KING lives in the house will it stink the house out??? I gave him dried pig ear yesterday he liked it. I shall spread his feeds out & see how he goes thank
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Are you in Ireland? I googled the food, and couldn't find ingredients.
The knucklebone can be given in his crate and put it in the fridge or toss it after he loses interest. I usually throw them out(if the dog hasn't eaten it) after a day, when they dry out they can splinter.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

SamP if you can go into your User CP and put your GENERAL Location in (like I have The Pocono's) it will be a huge help when we give information/tips/hints. It will then show up beside each and every post with your avatar picture.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Master Member

um YES! lol...it appears that way! I have nothing to add since I go through this and have been through this with my boy since day one. Over feeding, too much wet, too much richness, and poor brands have all contributed to Clover's runny poo. Has he had a fecal?

He is beautiful! Love those ears!! Welcome!!

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM

My girl has always had a sensitive tummy. This was complicating as a puppy because she didn't eat. If we got a cup of kibble down her in a day we were lucky. This caused massive panic because I lost 3 cats in 1 year to kidney failure, and the first sympton of that is they won't eat. I didn't have any idea about forums like this so I stupidly tried anything to get her to eat. Her breeder fed her kibble and cooked ground turkey - but she refused that. Tried other canned dog food and they went right through her. If we found something she would eat and not give her the runs, she'd snub it after 2 days. I was doing everything wrong, but didn't want her to starve herself to death. She was so skinny. Finally a vet told me she had a GSD and her dog didn't eat well till she was 2 years old. And lo and behold at 2 years old she finally showed some appetite at supper time. So now she gets fed a good supper with some chicken added and that's it. We are still very careful about snacks, products that are supposed to help her teeth and breath go through her. We gave her pigs ears when she was younger but now thay disappear too fast, she just gobbles them.

I agree with no rawhide, too many horror stories. I buy nylabones for strong chewers and have never had any problems. She needs to chew to unwind.

If you ever need to change his kibble do it very gradually.

Hope this helps a little - somtimes these dogs are complicated but they are worth it.

Lilli

Mom to Miss Liberty 8 yr old gsd
Miss Lucy 7 yr old lab
Miss Mable stray kitten
At the bridge - Gemini - collie/shepherd - the dog that saved my life
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Mac

my 5 month old has a sensitive tummy as well. though not nearly as bad as my old malamute. we started giving him a tablespoon of plain yogurt after every meal like we did for our mal and it has worked wonders for him. we also dont let him have any treats other than those we give him. we had an issue with our trainers treats as well. but after a week of the yogurt its been smooth sailing since then. also, rawhide bones would make him throw up a few hours after he finished playing with it, even if he had just a little bit of it so we stopped giving it to him.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

I think i found the food. (?)
Connolly's Red Mills® U.S.A. Pet Foods - Puppy Food - Guaranteed Analysis -

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Corn, Pork Meat Meal, Oat Flour, WheatFlour, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oat Hulls, Pea Protein, Menhaden Fish Meal, Pearled Barley, Oats, Flaxseed, Cheese, Chicken Liver, Dried Whole Eggs, Chicory Root Extract, Salt, Zinc Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum,
Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Iron
Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page