Help! Calcium levels, TOTW, All these ????s!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Question Help! Calcium levels, TOTW, All these ????s!!!

OK. So here goes. I bought Taste of the Wild ( the yellow bag with the venison and bison) for my dogs, and learned that the Calcium level is too high for Cullen ( being 9 1/2 weeks, large breed pup). Now, from what I can gather, it is around 2.1% Calcium!!!

I want to stick with NO GRAIN, because Gizmo has cleared up 95 percent in the last 2 1/2 weeks of using it, and is doing great! I went today to this local pet store that carried ALL of the better brands ( except this blue buffalo I hear about) They carry innova, wellness core, etc. So I checked out for some that are locally carried with less, and seems all grainless foods are " all life stages" so I can THANKFULLY buy one food for both dogs.... I have been using dogfoodanalysis.com to check these levels, and seems they are ALL high!!!

Instinct is at 1.82% (rabbit)UP TO 2.49%(chicken/duck), and it's pretty affordable.( OK VERY affordable)
Wellness Core is at 2%... AND way less affordable
TOTW at around 2.1%.. priced in the middle
Orijen - 1.5-1.7%... and expensive
Evo Red Meat - 2.11% and HIGHER Priced\
Canidea ALS no grain - 2%

I have less than a week of TOTW left... so trying to figure out something NOW, so I can go in the AM and pick up new food. I do also have multivitamins and Salmon oil I plan on using, would like any and ALL advice.

Just a note, I was going to go with the RAW diet, but I at the moment am doing kibble/canned in the AM, kibble in the lunchtime hours, and then raw at night... BUT, Cullen is very aggressive with RMBs, so I may just drop the Raw for a while... Grain free is almost as good right?

EDIT... oh.. and also.. we do have this " before grain" brand around... seems good I guess... but I tried a little canned when we were waiting for the TOTW canned to be stocked, and it gave them instant liquid poo... can't find calcium levels for that though! And... Natures Variety I don't think is a no grain!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000

Last edited by VaBeachFamily; 02-21-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

I have been feeding Orijen LB Puppy. Expensive to buy but I haven't found it terribly expensive to feed.

Look for a large breed puppy formulation.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
I can't seem to find the Grain Free in large breed ( not sure about orijen) but the price is so outrageous!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

I have been using wellness core ocean, and while it is pricey........it has lasted longer than than the TOTW did. I will say, I havent tried other varieties of Core, the Ocean has 2.1% cal levels.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

For a pup wellness super5mix large breed puppy has the proper ratio of calcium and phosphorus. I would go with that if you don't want to feed Orijen. It does contain barley and rice however. Go RAW if you really want grain free, it has the perfect balance for a growing puppy! I have had Karlo on RAW since 8 weeks old(breeder also fed raw) and he is a joyful eater(inhaler) never had any problems. Turkey necks, chicken wings/necks are fine for the RMB adding some muscle meat and a touch of organ to the meal...much better than all the additives in kibble.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-21-2010 at 04:22 PM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Betsy..

Was this something you used for adults or puppies? I am looking for something grain free for a puppy. I am leaning towards Orijin or instinct rabbit ( both under 2%) and I like that the Instinct has Tapioca... or sticking with TOTW I guess... But... if I do.. doesn't one of the B vitamins help with processing Calcium better?

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

HA... i feel dumb.. I see orijin large breed is grain free... but 30 more per bag than what I am paying... not sure if they had it where I went, guess I will have to go look specifically.

Guess I could have the pup and giz on different foods for a while. Just easier on the pocketbook to be on one.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

I do not know about using the core products for puppies, however I do believe that someone has mentioned it is one of the grainless that can be used for puppies. I have a friend that is using the Wellness for large breed puppies with very good results. Personally, for a grainless food for puppy I would probably also be stuck between the two you mentioned. both are excellent foods, and if their makeup is suitable for a puppy, all the better. I have never tried Instinct before, the rabbit does look good. I dont think you can go wrong with either food, If you are going to stay with kibble longer than you originally planned I would make the switch from the higher calcium in TOTW. As far as your problems with possesiveness with the raw, you may want to look at how you are feeding and what factors are involved that are contributing to the situation. I would be willing to bet, that if this is showing itself now, you may also have issues with other high value items down the road, so if you can look at addressing it now, you may still be able to go raw with no problems with resource guarding.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I have been trying to figure out what I do wrong...

At feeding time, I tell them " time to eat" and each dog runs to their respective areas, which are both private and apart. They are made to sit, and given their bowls. They eat, don't bother each other, and should have no reason to act in the way that he does... so the last few nights I have been feeding all raw out of my hand, and even starting with the bones in my hand for a few, then letting him finish it himself.

I don't want food aggression to become a threat to my 7 year old. I am not sure about going full raw anymore. I have read a lot, and learned a lot, just not sure it is for me!

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Master Member

I cant help you with grain free and calcium levels bc I am so sick of looking at ingredients i cant stand it! BLEH! lmao!

however, Clover gets a bit snatchy with his meaty bone treats too...I am trying to teach manners even for these but he is like talking to a rock.

I would like to know more about the Core foods since Clover shows real interest in those. I think he is over the Innova stuff....I am REALLY wishing I had NOT done the biggest bag available.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page